Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve Fixes RAGE 2 Breaking For Recent Mesa RADV Driver

Phoronix: Valve Fixes RAGE 2 Breaking For Recent Mesa RADV Driver

For fans of the RAGE 2 first person shooter game as the sequel to id Software's Rage game from nearly a decade ago, the latest Mesa Git code has landed a fix courtesy of Valve's Linux graphics driver developers to correct the rendering...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Rage 2 has fantastic gunplay and combat concepts but is let down by a relatively sparse open world. It could have been so much more than it was. Its combat exceeds that of any other open world game.

Comment

I've always had issues with RAGE (and RAGE2 maybe?): probably megatexture-related, but I have weird glitches all over the place. Missing, wrong or black textures over all terrain. Makes it unplayable.

That's with multiple AMD GPUs (4850, 6870, Fury) and multiple drivers (actually I had the same issue on windows back when the first one released, with an ATI HD4850).

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        I've always had issues with RAGE (and RAGE2 maybe?): probably megatexture-related, but I have weird glitches all over the place. Missing, wrong or black textures over all terrain. Makes it unplayable.

That's with multiple AMD GPUs (4850, 6870, Fury) and multiple drivers (actually I had the same issue on windows back when the first one released, with an ATI HD4850).
        Strange, I always found RAGE to be incredibly clean running and stable. This was many years ago back when RAGE was new, but it ran flawlessly on my AMD bulldozer rig (Opteron, no less) with AMD Radeon Rx460, an Rx480, and later on a Vega56 card. This was on Fedora, whatever the current Fedora version was at the time. Lots of great memories playing that game. John Goodman made for a great Dan Hagar voice!

Comment

Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post

rage2 is a completely unrelated engine and developer (just cause 4 engine, seems to be vulkan exclusive)

if i remember correctly, rage1 had a bug with vram size detection causing it to think it only has a couple hundred(?) MB available, which is not what you want to happen if one of the primary goals of that engine was constant streaming of virtualized textures

it also had a special option for accelerating texture decompression that may have fixed or caused problems depending on what it was set to

its launch was a disaster, multiple radeon hotfix drivers over a few days, wrong ones being posted, them being a different branch than the regular ones resulting in losing fixes for other games, skyrim also launched poorly on amd... there is a story that id or bethesda blacklisted ati after a past game that was only for prerelease driver development had leaked

attempting to play it on launch with old gen at the time 4000 series was definitely not a good idea, i had a 4870x2 myself but never owned the game until years later (actually never tried installing it yet even to this day)

6000 series is one of the most unfortunate, a rearchitected dead-end pipeline, only existing due to TSMC's cancellation of a node shrink causing both amd+nvidia to scavenge up a new gen, losing windows driver support a few years later while the gen right after, GCN1, ended up being one of the longest supported on windows from dx to mantle to vulkan

Comment

Working...
          X