More Feature Work Begins On KDE Plasma 6.0 As Plasma 5.27 Nears Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Feature Work Begins On KDE Plasma 6.0 As Plasma 5.27 Nears Release

Phoronix: More Feature Work Begins On KDE Plasma 6.0 As Plasma 5.27 Nears Release

KDE Plasma 5.27 is due for release on Valentine's Day (14 February) as what will also be the last feature release in the Plasma 5 series. With the imminent 5.27 release, more feature work on Plasma 6.0 has been getting underway...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Cool to see that KDE software evolving so much!
    Too bad that some distros that have enough developers and funding from donations, like Linux Mint, still refuse to have an edition with it.
    Hopefully this year, after KDE developers will look into and bring HDR support too.

Comment

Curious, which KDE applications release is going to be last for Qt5? When it is going Qt6?

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
        Linux Mint, still refuse to have an edition with it.
        They have their own de, they should just focus on that. like we are not short on distro anyway...

I imagine ideal world where every distro have their own thing going on. Like goal or purpose, and not making new distro just because they can without bringing anything new

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
          I imagine ideal world where every distro have their own thing going on. Like goal or purpose, and not making new distro just because they can without bringing anything new
          I strongly agree with this. Seems 99% of distros out there are useless, where they're just like any other distro except they come pre-installed with different packages or a different default configuration. Just give me the base distro with easy access to meta packages that accomplish the same thing. The nice thing about meta packages is they should be pretty easy to translate to other package management systems, thereby allowing more people access to the platform they prefer.

The only time I've ever needed a sub-distro (EndeavourOS) was because that was the only Arch-based distro at the time that could boot from Intel Optane without much difficulty. Until I got EndeavourOS installed, I didn't even know why other Arch distros (including Arch itself) wouldn't boot.

Comment

Updating my custom KDE PKGBUILDS for the qt6 change has been a nightmare so far. Changing the qt digit from 5 to the 6 in all subprojects was easy once you know a command that searches and replaces all instances automatically in each subdirectory. But that was not enough. Good look finding all the neccessary terms that need a change or other new additions like introducing the new Cmake-Option "-DQT_MAJOR_VERSION=6". I'd like to see a dedicated blog post to builders like me that adresses all of the needed work, e.g. new Cmake options, dependancies etc.

Comment

Nice to see that Plasma 6 will not be that radical of a change as Plasma 5 was.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
                Fortunately, innovative distros continue to exist, and those are the ones that will transcend.

Comment

Originally posted by Yalok View Post
                  Nice to see that Plasma 6 will not be that radical of a change as Plasma 5 was.
                  I still have nightmares about changing from KDE 3 to 4, that was one bumpy ride stability wise and fingers crossed this will be better, I didn't find the change from 4 to 5 anywhere near as bad.

Comment

It will be a disappointment if plasma 6 still requires opengl. They said they will implement vulkan on plasma 6. I hope it does not shift to 7.

Comment

Working...
                    X