Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Is Making It Easier To Track Running Background Apps

Phoronix: GNOME Is Making It Easier To Track Running Background Apps

A pending change to the GNOME Shell will make it easier to monitor running background applications that otherwise are not visually presented currently on the desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

They reinvented the tray icon long after dropping support for it.

Comment

Let me guess...
      This is a workaround for the missing system tray that a lot of people are complaining about?

So glad that KDE Plasma with its default layout similar to "dumb Windows design", doesn't have this problem!

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
        They did that to an entire display server for one DE, why be surprised?

Comment

Originally posted by -MacNuke- View Post
          This doesn't seem to be the same thing. Tray icon is a functionality that is built into apps like Steam, which have a tray menu that gives you certain functions without having to open the app itself. This however looks like a simple indicator that just shows which app is running in the background. Judging from the screenshot, this mostly seems to be useful for Flatpaks.

Comment

Can we stop pretending that Flapflap is anything but a last resort already?

Comment

As I recall -- Tray Functions were supposed to be merged into the Dock via Apps right click menu.

The App should show a indicator when running even in the background.

And the argument for removing the System Tray centered around billions of new devices being touch screen and the Tray only being optimal for computer mouse use therefore being a carry over of an earlier time and not really optimal going foreward.

If anyone needs the old functionality in the meantime, there have been several Tray extensions that bring it back.

https://extensions.gnome.org/extensi...cons-reloaded/

Nobody is free from criticism, but I thought the reasoning behind the change was sufficient. Also, it's their dime -- if they want to break the wheel and fix it just to see if they can get a better wheel -- go for it -- it's not like I'm lacking in choices in Linux.

In Capitalism -- vote with your dollar.

In Linux -- vote by using, supporting and promoting the software you believe in most.

If you believe your choice is pragmatically the best, then you should believe it will win and that bad software will loose all their users.

Comment

This looks just like Android 13, someone even mentioned it in the MR.
                Last edited by Mthw; 08 February 2023, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
                  I wanted to make some snarky comment that I couldn't tell that this was Gnome as it sure looked like Android, but you beat me to it. Thanks! Well, I guess I still did write that snarky comment but thanks anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by Mthw View Post
                    And that's a great thing.

Android nailed the quick settings menu (and notifications) more than a decade ago. Everybody should copy them.

Comment

Working...
                    X