Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Audacious 4.3 Beta Adds PipeWire Plugin, Restores GTK3 + Ships Mature Qt6 Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Audacious 4.3 Beta Adds PipeWire Plugin, Restores GTK3 + Ships Mature Qt6 Support

Phoronix: Audacious 4.3 Beta Adds PipeWire Plugin, Restores GTK3 + Ships Mature Qt6 Support

Longtime Linux users likely have fond memories of the XMMS audio player from two decades ago. For those that enjoyed XMMS back in the day, Audacious continues being updated as a modern fork of XMMS...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I feel like I'm in a minority, but when it comes to listening to music on Linux, I just use AIMP on Wine. It's probably the most full featured audio player available for PC. It has skins, tons of plugins, supports every audio format (even DSD and SACD iso, which afaik no Linux player supports) and everything you can imagine in an audio player. And that's why I use it. It seems to me no Linux player comes even close to AIMP.

I've seen some use Foobar2000 on WIne, which also supports many formats, features and it seem to offer much deeper customization than AIMP, but the way it works is not really for me.

Comment

Originally posted by avis

I see no problem with using your favourite Windows applications under Linux.
      I know, I just had this perception that a media player is not something that Wine is commonly used for unlike other types of apps.

Comment

I hope to see a GTK 4 version of Audacity soon.

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        I feel like I'm in a minority, but when it comes to listening to music on Linux, I just use AIMP on Wine. It's probably the most full featured audio player available for PC. It has skins, tons of plugins, supports every audio format (even DSD and SACD iso, which afaik no Linux player supports) and everything you can imagine in an audio player. And that's why I use it. It seems to me no Linux player comes even close to AIMP.

I've seen some use Foobar2000 on WIne, which also supports many formats, features and it seem to offer much deeper customization than AIMP, but the way it works is not really for me.
        I don't really care about skins or plugins much, and as for audio formats I don't think it is so important for me that a media player supports all audio formats ever under the sun, for me it is okay if it does MP3, Vorbis and FLAC. If I ever come across some other audio file format I could always play that one that time in a different media player such as VLC.

I don't care about equalizers or visualizations either. Probably the most important thing is that it starts fast, works even with a rather music library and is responsive like scrolling, filtering, searching, etc is fast.

I don't care much for customization either, and would prefer just having sane defaults.

I see no problem with using your favourite Windows applications under Linux. Irfan View is my default picture viewer because nothing in Linux comes close to it in terms of features and performance. I also use Mp3tag, foobar2000, WinSCP a lot.
        There might be some overhead in using Wine. The UI might look weird on Wine as it looks different from your other applications. There might be some lack of integration with the Linux desktop such as maybe MPRIS, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
          I don't really care about skins or plugins much, and as for audio formats I don't think it is so important for me that a media player supports all audio formats ever under the sun, for me it is okay if it does MP3, Vorbis and FLAC. If I ever come across some other audio file format I could always play that one that time in a different media player such as VLC.
          Use what suits you best.
          I personally have some DSD files, so it's already a reason I need AIMP. As for skins, yeah, they're usually more of an eye candy, but I like the ui of some skins that AIMP offers more than the ui of the various Linux players.

Comment

Music players to me are like worldwide spices to the Dutch - with abundant awareness and access to them, yet for whatever reason, doesn't use them.
            I get the appeal, but I've just never found myself in a situation where I felt I could benefit from it. I just simply organize my music into folders of very broad genres, so I have a general idea of what I feel like listening to.

Most of the time when I want to listen to my own music, I play them through Audiosurf 2 since I'd rather be focused on it. Typically when I'm in such a mood, I don't mind hand-picking the song.
            If I want to fill up emptiness with music, I don't feel like thinking that hard about what I want to listen to, so I just use things like FM radio or Pandora. Most of the time though, I'd rather listen to a podcast. So, pretty much the only time I do this is when I've run out of podcasts to listen to.
            Then, there are moments where I want background noise, I've run out of podcasts, I have no access to internet, no access to my FM stations (either because I'm out-of-state or in the mountains), and I don't have someone else to mooch off their music/podcast collection: that's pretty much the one and only time I'd have a use for something like Audacious, but I wouldn't have a desktop OS with me (not conveniently, anyway). So, I basically just put one of my loosely-defined genre folders on shuffle with whatever I have on me that can play music.

</coolstorybro>
            Last edited by schmidtbag; 11 February 2023, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Audacious is an excellent audio player.
              There are approx. 1321 other audio players available on Linux. Surely one of them will also be excellent, so it's not such a big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Music players to me are like worldwide spices to the Dutch - with abundant awareness and access to them, yet for whatever reason, doesn't use them.
                I would say dying species is the more accurate term to describe them. These days most normies have already switched to streaming services.

Comment

I would say dying species is the more accurate term to describe them. These days most normies have already switched to streaming services.
                  Agreed, though I haven't really done that either lol.
                  Lots of normies also use Youtube for their playlists. I always felt this was a bad idea, given the constant ads, inflexibility of apps, and how music is often taken down. But whatever - not my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                    I get the appeal, but I've just never found myself in a situation where I felt I could benefit from it. I just simply organize my music into folders of very broad genres, so I have a general idea of what I feel like listening to.

Most of the time when I want to listen to my own music, I play them through Audiosurf 2 since I'd rather be focused on it. Typically when I'm in such a mood, I don't mind hand-picking the song.
                    If I want to fill up emptiness with music, I don't feel like thinking that hard about what I want to listen to, so I just use things like FM radio or Pandora. Most of the time though, I'd rather listen to a podcast. So, pretty much the only time I do this is when I've run out of podcasts to listen to.
                    Then, there are moments where I want background noise, I've run out of podcasts, I have no access to internet, no access to my FM stations (either because I'm out-of-state or in the mountains), and I don't have someone else to mooch off their music/podcast collection: that's pretty much the one and only time I'd have a use for something like Audacious, but I wouldn't have a desktop OS with me (not conveniently, anyway). So, I basically just put one of my loosely-defined genre folders on shuffle with whatever I have on me that can play music.

</coolstorybro>
                    To each to their own. Listening music for different reasons and enjoying it in different ways is what imagination is for. Now to hijack this discussion and get into AI created music. We have AI chat, AI creating art pieces and AI playing games. Why not AI creating music just to basically walk around the Copyrighted material? /s

Comment

Working...
                    X