No announcement yet.

Linux KVM Gets Patched For New AMD Cross-Thread Return Address Predictions Bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux KVM Gets Patched For New AMD Cross-Thread Return Address Predictions Bug

Phoronix: Linux KVM Gets Patched For New AMD Cross-Thread Return Address Predictions Bug

CVE-2022-27672 is being made public today as the "Cross-Thread Return Address Predictions" bug affecting various AMD and Hygon processors. This vulnerability affects the SMT mode where one sibling thread transitions out of the C0 state and the other sibling thread could use return target predictions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

UNIX sockets firmware support? And problem also is that under WSL(which supports systemd(but not default yet)) making kvm(or another needed soft) with UNIX sockets runable seem as a hell for Windows devs...

And making packagable installer with snap app under to deliver Linux app to Windows user maybe make Microsoft wonder WTF is happening and why their Windows updates are so nice made...

Comment

Gosh darn it, I waited until the last rc as usual to test a new kernel, and just installed rc8 last night. My Windows 10 VM seemed to run fine, but I'm patching rc8 right now since this appears to be a potentially nasty bug.

Thanks for letting us know Michael. This is one of the many reasons I joined Phoronix, and try to peruse it everyday.

Comment

I patched the Arch linux-mainline rc8 package and everything seems to be working fine. However I didn't notice any errors before the patch, so all I can confirm is that nothing is obviously broken.

Comment

Originally posted by muncrief View Post
          However I didn't notice any errors before the patch, so all I can confirm is that nothing is obviously broken.
          This is article is about a vulnerability.

Comment

Working...
          X