Hangover 0.8.1 Released To Run Some x86 Windows Apps On ARM64 Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangover 0.8.1 Released To Run Some x86 Windows Apps On ARM64 Linux

Phoronix: Hangover 0.8.1 Released To Run Some x86 Windows Apps On ARM64 Linux

Hangover 0.8.1 was released today as the newest version of this open-source software project that leverages Wine and QEMU for being able to run Windows x86/x64 applications on 64-bit Arm and other CPU architectures...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

benchmarks ? in 2 weeks i maybe have money to fund an rockchip rk3388s system and benchmarks on phoronix.com would be fun to have Hangover 0.8.1 steam games benchmarks agaist the steam deck. or agaist apple m1/m2
    Phantom circuit Sequence Reducer Dyslexia

Comment

Out of curiosity, does ARM64 have an easier time with Android games and apps? If they have the same amount of devs and expertise as box86/waydroid does, would Linux on ARM be better able to run macOS ARM apps?

Asking since it seems like we're starting development from, not square one, but pretty far behind, to get Windows apps working on ARM and I'm wondering if it'll have any sort of advantages that would be a plus when switching to ARM.

Comment

Originally posted by qarium View Post
        benchmarks ? in 2 weeks i maybe have money to fund an rockchip rk3388s system and benchmarks on phoronix.com would be fun to have Hangover 0.8.1 steam games benchmarks agaist the steam deck. or agaist apple m1/m2
        Hangover at this stage is really proof of concept.
        https://github.com/AndreRH/hangover/...ster/README.md
        Currently Qemu is built as a library which is used in Wine. This is a license conflict, so there'll be no binaries for download. This will change with other emulators.
        This bit to me kind of says not worth benchmark massively at this stage. Hangover is being refactored so that emulators can be plugged in. Also these emulator replacements are going to have different performance shape to the qemu that currently being used.

Originally posted by TuesdayPogo View Post
        Out of curiosity, does ARM64 have an easier time with Android games and apps? If they have the same amount of devs and expertise as box86/waydroid does, would Linux on ARM be better able to run macOS ARM apps?
        ​
        waydroid does have arm64 version. There are still issues.
        YouDownloader - free YouTube Video Downloader.

MacOS application support is absolutely not straight forwards. Mac for Linux died because it was not simple and airyx/ravynOS is trying again with a freebsd base. (freebsd is a closer relation to the OS kernel used by MacOS than Linux kernel)

Asking since it seems like we're starting development from, not square one, but pretty far behind, to get Windows apps working on ARM and I'm wondering if it'll have any sort of advantages that would be a plus when switching to ARM.
        Microsoft windows on arm64 is also providing x86 emulator. This means there will be lots of windows applications that even if they have current development will not be ported to arm64 and those application not in current development basically forever.

Comment

What's the situation with windows arm running x86? It would be awesome if we could do better than windows

Comment

Afaik the best way to go is either box86/box64 for 32bit and 64bit arm or fex-emu which supports 64bit arm only.
            Both projects are advancing really really fast.
            ​Just check out some YouTube videos of both.

Comment

What about running some x86 Windows apps on ppc64le (4K) Linux? What's the current status?
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The biggest problem with qemu user is that each new version is a regression hell
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

in 2 weeks i maybe have money to fund an rockchip rk3388s system
                  Out of curiosity: what are you planning to get?

Comment

Originally posted by oiaohm View Post
                    MacOS application support is absolutely not straight forwards. Mac for Linux died because it was not simple)
                    What do you mean it died? Looks very active to me: https://github.com/darlinghq/darling/commits/master

Comment

Working...
                    X