Linux Patches Improve KVM Guest Performance For Hosts Under Memory Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Patches Improve KVM Guest Performance For Hosts Under Memory Pressure

Phoronix: Linux Patches Improve KVM Guest Performance For Hosts Under Memory Pressure

Google engineer Yu Zhao known for his work on MGLRU has published a new patch series today that "significantly improves" the KVM guest performance when the host system is under heavy memory pressure...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Sounds like a nice improvement.

Are there any tests/benchmarks of MGLRU on KVM guests? At least I didn't find any.

I try to avoid memory over-commit of my KVM-hosts, so for me it's mostly the guests that can get under memory pressure. I wonder if MGLRU has the same benefits for VMs as it has on bare metal.

Comment

The memory in that photo certainly is under pressure. It's a shame you had to make an example to keep the other sticks in line.

Comment

This is one reason I still use Android phones and ChromeOS even though Google has shown itself to be as evil as Microsoft and Facebook. In part because of their continued use and improvement of Linux as used in Android and ChromeOS that helps the wider Linux community as a whole. Particularly in the realm of resource constricted environments such as Android and ChromeOS that also helps resource constricted resources in other Linux based domains.

Comment

Michael definitely applied excessive memory pressure.

Comment

Working...
          X