Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel ANV Receives A ~24% Performance Boost For Older Hardware With Zink + Sauerbraten

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel ANV Receives A ~24% Performance Boost For Older Hardware With Zink + Sauerbraten

Phoronix: Intel ANV Receives A ~24% Performance Boost For Older Hardware With Zink + Sauerbraten

It's not exactly the most applicable configuration for hardware and software, but a 24% performance boost is nothing to sneeze at... A 24% performance boost when for an open-source game when using the Intel ANV Vulkan driver with older Gen8 Broadwell or Gen9 Skylake graphics while using the Zink layer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"Sauerbraten" the very best fitting German word for a game.... At least a tasty one.

Comment

Since change to intel igp around middle of 2022 stay very impressive with mesa compared nvidia propietary driver on GTX 1050: stutter seriously reduced, more games run (native and non native), high proactive community

This test using xubuntu 23.04* + linux 6.1.12 + lastest oibaff driver (Emma Anholt 37b544e4)

*this will be needed because update one of my 2tb seagate skyhawk cmr hard drives for one of 4tb seagate ironwolf cmr hard drive

and with before situation are perfect opportunity for change my hard disks normal type of partition used until now aka mbr but with change all disks to gpt (copying all files to new disk and back to original disk once stay in gpt)

and with gpt can activate rebar (*seeking for arc option in future soon™) option in my asus Z370-P
      back to sauerbraten at simple seek both seems normal no graphic issues with same graphic settings for both tests

OpenGL

Zink

Last edited by pinguinpc; 18 February 2023, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Actually I reported the sauerbraten issue, and the fix was in reply to my report.

But the fix didn't improve at all sauerbraten for me, but with torcs I got a 33% improvement.

If you care:
        ​​​​https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/8223
        ​​​​​https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/8300
        Since the dirty range started out as 0..0, you would have 0..VBend as the new dirty range on the first draw, and if your VB was >32b then...

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
          Since change to intel igp around middle of 2022 stay very impressive with mesa compared nvidia propietary driver on GTX 1050: stutter seriously reduced, more games run (native and non native), high proactive community

This test using xubuntu 23.04* + linux 6.1.12 + lastest oibaff driver (Emma Anholt 37b544e4)

back to sauerbraten at simple seek both seems normal no graphic issues with same graphic settings for both tests

OpenGL

Zink

For benchmarking you should disable vsync, otherwise you are capped at monitor refresh rate. This is likely why you get 75fps with both.

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post

For benchmarking you should disable vsync, otherwise you are capped at monitor refresh rate. This is likely why you get 75fps with both.
            Yeah normally stay around 200fps but my main goal (as wine too) is stability and uhd 630 is a very little chip, only have 184/192 shaders (sadly intel dont put more horsepower in old igps, for example if uhd 630 had 384 or 512 shaders at example 1500mhz to 1800mhz must be have better performance)

For example dead rising still with low power of uhd 630 runs acceptable (however quicksync capture when gpu stay around 95% to 100% penalize around 10fps) but with more horsepower must be run ok

with mgba 0.10 appear interesting fix in my case, with zink using high resolution scale at 5x runs around 15 to 17fps

and with this driver up to around 50fps - 60fps

Last edited by pinguinpc; 18 February 2023, 09:11 PM.

Comment

seeking dead rising 2 (d9vk) found more performance now but dont think have related or not only to recent driver improvement between before test using dxvk 2.0-git and now with dxvk 2.1

but think real difference could stay on rebar activation and then this is results

before no rebar

and now with rebar activated

however need make more tests but is possible rebar can give more performance on intel old igps*

* @Michael

Last edited by pinguinpc; 19 February 2023, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post
                seeking dead rising 2 (d9vk) found more performance now but dont think have related or not only to recent driver improvement between before test using dxvk 2.0-git and now with dxvk 2.1

but think real difference could stay on rebar activation and then this is results

before no rebar

and now with rebar activated

however need make more tests but is possible rebar can give more performance on intel old igps*

* @Michael

No need to bother him, because it's impossible that ReBAR has any impact on your iGPU whatsoever, since it affects the amount of VRAM that can be accessed at once over PCI-Express.

Your iGPU can already access as much of your system RAM as you have configured inside the BIOS / UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                  No need to bother him, because it's impossible that ReBAR has any impact on your iGPU whatsoever, since it affects the amount of VRAM that can be accessed at once over PCI-Express.

Your iGPU can already access as much of your system RAM as you have configured inside the BIOS / UEFI.
                  Hopefully Michael​ can give more idea about this because him have more hardware (intel igps before xe and xe igps), maybe can no relation or maybe yes ?

Comment

Originally posted by oibaf View Post

Yes, this is the game where even a crappy mid range radeon gives something like 300-400 fps at 1080p or 4k. Can't remember.

Comment

Working...
                    X