Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Leap 15.5 Beta Released For Testing

Phoronix: openSUSE Leap 15.5 Beta Released For Testing

The openSUSE Leap 15.5 Beta builds have begun for helping to test out this Linux distribution update that is planned to be the last of the Leap 15 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Anyone tried running this on the AM5 platform, I'd be happy to hear your experiences if you have or on Tumbleweed ?

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      Anyone tried running this on the AM5 platform, I'd be happy to hear your experiences if you have or on Tumbleweed ?
      With Leap still on 5.14 kernel, would be much better off going for Tumbleweed.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

apparently their franken kernel has about 10k patches and it's up to date (hardware wise at least) to the ubuntu lts kernel. "apparently" is a key word because even running it on zen3 laptop isn't much fun.

but they are one of the few stable distros that do offer the newest kernel as well, signed etc. you do have to add an official repo for that thou.
        whatever it's doingworthy or not, it's up to you.

/// edit

why wouldn't they include the torrent file for them?!
        Last edited by szymon_g; 21 February 2023, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
          If actually started using Tumbleweed just a week ago on my 7600x and Radeon 6700XT system.

This is my first Suse experience since early 2000. I had been using Kubuntu the last 10 years but was getting tired of the updates and the need for ppas for up-to date Mesa, kernel and KDE.

It hasnt been long so but so far I'm impressed with the distribution and it might stick to it.

Comment

Stable base with Plasma 5.27 sounds attractive. I'm in no rush to update to Plasma 6.0 on Tumbleweed when it comes out. Hope ALP will also support KDE.

Comment

Using leap as my daily driver and tumbleweed on my "steam machine". Quality of both is great, made me stick with it after having used kubuntu for a while...

And even though I find Alp interesting, I'll probably switch to Tumbleweed entirely at some point. Up to date and tested packages rock!

Comment

My understanding is that SUSE's "ALP" = OpenSUSE's "MicroOS Desktop". Not sure if that's entirely correct. And MicroOS Desktop is basically Tumbleweed but immutable and automatically updating and relying on Flatpaks (and toolbox for CLI applications). Sounds quite good, although KDE is still "alpha" for some reason. Maybe in a year or two it's ready.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Thanks for the info Mike, I suspected as much rather than trying to nail an updated Kernel ETC into Leap.

Dilemma, to buy some nicely discounted AM4 parts or sit tight tight and wait a bit on AM5. Cash burning a hole in pocket says buy now, wisdom and brain says wait a bit.
                  Last edited by Slartifartblast; 24 February 2023, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Yay! I need Python 3.7...

Comment

Working...
                    X