Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Many Radeon RX 7000 Series "RDNA3" Fixes Land In Mesa 23.1

Phoronix: Many Radeon RX 7000 Series "RDNA3" Fixes Land In Mesa 23.1

For those with an AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT or RX 7900 XTX graphics card, the latest Mesa 23.1-devel code as of Friday has seen a number of fixes land for benefiting the GFX11/RDNA3 graphics processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was a really bumpy first week for me with a 7900 XTX on Linux back in early January. It had been years since I upgraded my computer. Almost every kernel release, and Mesa release has fixed some number of issues since then.

The first month, I started finding good workarounds to make things work, and most bugs weren't super noticeable. I had to stop using the flatpak steam and switch to native because of some-odd issue with RDNA3 and (I think) any LLVM prior to 15, which was killing flatpak at the time.

The idle power usage is still shakey even though I have just 1 screen. It's somehow doing 4k 120hz with VRR (must be chroma up sampling????) through HDMI even though I didn't think that would work because of the HDMI 2.1 Linux things with AMD.

The biggest issue, by far, was the integrated GPU on my 7000 series CPU. I had to turn that off to get my system to behave because somehow things kept stuttering and I got a lot of display blackouts. Some intensive games seemed to choose the iGPU over the dGPU and I couldn't fix that otherwise.

I use Fedora KDE, just for context.

I think it has been a much smoother ride than when I got my 5700 XT on Linux when it came out. I didn't even have workarounds for many of my issues for about half a year with that card. Things finally got fixed though. I think AMD has come a really long way on Linux support.

The new card has been stellar and I have no more complaints.
    Last edited by Mitch; 26 February 2023, 10:12 AM.

Comment

The end-of-January release of AMDVLK ought to have solved some of the issues with the integrated GPU: https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/A...ag/v-2023.Q1.1

Even if you weren't using the integrated GPU at all, it just being present was enough to cause AMDVLK to break things in very strange ways

Comment

Working...
      X