Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vulkan 1.3.242 Released With New NVIDIA Low-Latency Extension

Phoronix: Vulkan 1.3.242 Released With New NVIDIA Low-Latency Extension

The Vulkan 1.3.242 spec is now available with a handful of clarifications and fixes to the existing text as well as introducing the new VK_NV_low_latency extension...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What a bad name for an extension... "VK_NV_​low_latency". I guess after few years we will have "VK_NV_low_latency_new" or "VK_NV_​lower_latency"

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post
      What a bad name for an extension... "VK_NV_​low_latency". I guess after few years we will have "VK_NV_low_latency_new" or "VK_NV_​lower_latency"
      If you'd have read the pull request or even part of the article you'd know that it's not a true/false operation but an API specifically for querying different properties, such that it's extensible to new APIs or even other vendors.
      Last edited by AlanTuring69; 27 February 2023, 10:35 AM.

Comment

Reflex display requirement is only for input lag measurements with mouse connected to such a display. Latency reduction happens with any display. My uneducated guess is it's the driver telling in-game limiters how to limit dynamically based on whatever required stats, so there never is any CPU prerender.

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post

If you'd have read the pull request or even part of the article you'd know that it's not a true/false operation but an API specifically for querying different properties, such that it's extensible to new APIs or even other vendors.
          Thanks for reminding me that it is not enough to read the title and comments. Found guilty... on other hand... still I don't think that word _low_ in the API is good - what is more this extension does not explain which latency.

Code:
          === Description

This extension adds the slink:VkQueryLowLatencySupportNV structure, a
          structure used to query support for NVIDIA Reflex.
          Obvious!

Comment

It's also possible to enable Reflex using SpecialK[0] for almost any (DirectX) game. Together with the intelligent frame limiter you can get close to 0 frame latency with vsync enabled. It also works in wine/proton but I can't say how well or how necessary it is. On Windows it's a huge difference at least.

[0]: https://special-k.info/

Comment

And there even is a vendor agnostic vendor agnostic alternative to Nvidia Reflex, that could definitely use some more love

Comment

Originally posted by AlanTuring69 View Post
                If you'd have read the pull request or even part of the article [...].
                This is the way supermen are doing it:
                1. Comment!
                2. Read the title
                3. Comment again!
                4. Discuss as much as you can.
                But never read the article!

Comment

Originally posted by grung View Post

Thanks for reminding me that it is not enough to read the title and comments.
                  Least reactionary Phoronix commenter

Comment

Working...
                  X