Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Still Have A Use For Adobe Flash? Ruffle Is Working To Safely Emulate It In Rust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Have A Use For Adobe Flash? Ruffle Is Working To Safely Emulate It In Rust

Phoronix: Still Have A Use For Adobe Flash? Ruffle Is Working To Safely Emulate It In Rust

While Adobe Flash is officially -- and thankfully -- dead, those interested in Adobe Flash Player for nostalgia or archival purposes, Ruffle is working to emulate Adobe Flash support via this open-source project making use of the Rust programming language...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm super glad this exists, so much history and content was at risk of being forever unretrievable (without installing old operating systems in VMs) due to the death of Flash.

Comment

I am very happy about Ruffle. So much would be lost without it. z0r.de as one of the classic flash sites uses it for a while now and it works just great.

Comment

The Internet Archive is already making use of it since 2020: https://blog.archive.org/2020/11/19/...ernet-archive/

Comment

One big shortcoming are still missing codecs:
          We've had a number of people ask about this, and whilst we may not solve it soon - we can use this to let them be updated when we make progress. There's 6 codecs (that I know of) that we'll need to...

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
            I am very happy about Ruffle. So much would be lost without it. z0r.de as one of the classic flash sites uses it for a while now and it works just great.
            Like what are you browsing and it doesn't work because of Flash? I haven't seen flash in like 10yrs it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

Like what are you browsing and it doesn't work because of Flash? I haven't seen flash in like 10yrs it seems.
              Flash was abused for ads and applets. It was not made for that. It is primarily a animation suit(many big animated shows are made with Flash) later it got scripting capabilities and it became possible to embed it in websites. Many people used that to make fun little animations or little 2D games. Those are some of the most iconic early 2000s to early 2010s internet content and it would simply be a shame if it was lost in time.

Comment

Glad this is being covered. been using ruffle for a while now, its one of the more neat projects around.

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

is this a joke? He literally gave the answer to this question, in the post that you replied to?

Comment

Originally posted by darkdragon-001 View Post
                  One big shortcoming are still missing codecs:
                  https://github.com/ruffle-rs/ruffle/issues/723
                  I guess these could probably be added in crates assuming decoders or binding to decoders exist?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    Glad this is being covered. been using ruffle for a while now, its one of the more neat projects around.

is this a joke? He literally gave the answer to this question, in the post that you replied to?
                    Are you talking about z0r.de? Because I expected something serious, cause this site looks like a few drunk devs tried to rival TikTok.

Comment

Working...
                    X