Wayland 1.22 Released With New Preferred Buffer Scale & Transform Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland 1.22 Released With New Preferred Buffer Scale & Transform Protocol

Phoronix: Wayland 1.22 Released With New Preferred Buffer Scale & Transform Protocol

Wayland 1.22 is now available as the newest feature update to this core set of Wayland protocol and helper code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

HiDPI screenshots from non-HiDPI screens
    If this works out, can i do screenshare with higher resolutions then my native display? Could shared content be adjusted to the needs of the receiving side as well?

Comment

Originally posted by heredoc View Post
      If this works out, can i do screenshare with higher resolutions then my native display? Could shared content be adjusted to the needs of the receiving side as well?
      Prima Facia, yes. This will depend on implementation, and if they specifically disallow it in the spec.

Comment

I am going to assume the scaling stuff is basically catching up to something like this:

Code:
        $ xrandr --output HDMI-1 --scale 1.25x1.25

Comment

...ha early enough to sit down with my popcorn and wait for the X folks

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post
            ...ha early enough to sit down with my popcorn and wait for the X folks
            The X vs Wayland debate is entertaining, and has valid reasons on both sides. The irony is, the good criticism against Wayland is a good thing.

Comment

cross DE magnifying glass software will certainly be nice, now we just need mouse tracking and "always on top" support

Comment

Will this improvements fix the known issue about the fractional scaling?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
                  I am going to assume the scaling stuff is basically catching up to something like this:

Code:
                  $ xrandr --output HDMI-1 --scale 1.25x1.25
                  I assume that this command sets scaling for the whole screen. Wayland protocol from the article allows to set scaling for each buffer (i.e. single window, not the whole screen) individually

Comment

Originally posted by jarekZ View Post

I assume that this command sets scaling for the whole screen. Wayland protocol from the article allows to set scaling for each buffer (i.e. single window, not the whole screen) individually
                    Oh right. Setting a custom scale to each window seems like an awkward workflow.

During lockdown and screenshare, I used to use Xephyr with custom scaling in each server for streaming at more friendly sizes. That could be adapted to per-application.

Comment

Working...
                    X