Updated NVIDIA Turing Firmware Published For Open-Source Nouveau Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Updated NVIDIA Turing Firmware Published For Open-Source Nouveau Driver

Phoronix: Updated NVIDIA Turing Firmware Published For Open-Source Nouveau Driver

NVIDIA has published updated NVIDIA TU10x /TU11x "Turing" GPU firmware to support newer RTX 20 hardware revisions and fix outstanding issues affecting the open-source Nouveau driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I am really looking forward to dumping the Nvidia driver and using Nouveau.

I don't game on Linux, but I want a working and fluid Wayland desktop that doesn't have lockups.

Comment

Meanwhile I finally put my money where my mouth is and bought an all-AMD laptop (R7 6800H + RX 6650M) to escape the hell that is NoVideo Optimus with my old one (i7-6700HQ + GTX 960M, so it doesn't even have support for the PCIe RTD3 power management thing let alone the GSP), and while it has a few issues with the platform/firmware (like the built-in microphone not working without patching the kernel to add a quirk) and VAAPI encode/decode being unreliable the 3D graphics side of things all just WORKED, OpenGL, Vulkan, DXVK, even VKD3D, both on the iGPU (Radeon 680M) and the dGPU, plugging in external displays via USB-C DisplayPort Alt Mode just worked, and even the HDMI port that happens to be connected to the dGPU works if I make sure that the dGPU is awake when plugging the display in, all with KDE Plasma Wayland.

Still, I look forward to seeing what Nouveau will be able to achieve with the GSP and NVK. The latter might still be useful for my old GTX 960M, Nouveau can actually already handle turning the thing off and on just fine, and reclocking also works on it too, maybe one day I'll be able to let my raw hatred of NVIDIA rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
        I am really looking forward to dumping the Nvidia driver and using Nouveau.

I don't game on Linux, but I want a working and fluid Wayland desktop that doesn't have lockups.
        You've not specified a single reason of wanting to use Wayland but if you're so certain about it, maybe you shouldn't have bought an NVIDIA GPU in the first place.

I really don't understand the Linux fans who want to look righteous and talk crap about NVIDIA while knowing full well in advance that the company is yet to embrace Wayland and that Wayland has certain outdated concepts which have been largely abandoned (implicit sync), yet "It's NVIDIA which is bad".

That sounds effing pathetic if you ask me.

Comment

You have such negativity! Life is full of colors! Enjoy them!

Originally posted by avis View Post

You've not specified a single reason of wanting to use Wayland
          He doesn't have to. He just wants to use it.

but if you're so certain about it, maybe you shouldn't have bought an NVIDIA GPU in the first place.
          You shouldn't judge people. You don't know under which circumstances he got his setup.

I really don't understand the Linux fans who want to look righteous and talk crap about NVIDIA while knowing full well in advance
          Many do **NOT** know in advance.

that the company is yet to embrace Wayland
          Nvidia's issues with Wayland have **nothing** to do with "embracing" Wayland. They come from Nvidia deviating from the "de facto" standard used in Linux graphics systems and many open source projects refusing to do the same thing twice just to satisfy one company.

and that Wayland has certain outdated concepts which have been largely abandoned (implicit sync), yet "It's NVIDIA which is bad".
          outdated? under which circumstances? And y ou do know that you don't have to have implicit sync under wayland, do you?
          Please, respect and be kind to others :-)

You, and people around you, will be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

You've not specified a single reason of wanting to use Wayland but if you're so certain about it, maybe you shouldn't have bought an NVIDIA GPU in the first place.

I really don't understand the Linux fans who want to look righteous and talk crap about NVIDIA while knowing full well in advance that the company is yet to embrace Wayland and that Wayland has certain outdated concepts which have been largely abandoned (implicit sync), yet "It's NVIDIA which is bad".

Looks like our resident jensen ""enthusiast"" is at his usual antics at full force today, eh? x works with vendor a and vendor b but not so well with vendor c therefore x is shit and it is inconceivable that vendor c might have done something wrong. After all, we all know that vendor c is incapable of making mistakes. The OS is at fault, the kernel is badly, designed the program is poorly written, etc. somehow the poor vendor c always manages get caught up in the inadequacies of others.

Comment

Working...
            X