Early KDE Plasma 6 Development State: "It's Still Rough, But It's Usable"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early KDE Plasma 6 Development State: "It's Still Rough, But It's Usable"

Phoronix: Early KDE Plasma 6 Development State: "It's Still Rough, But It's Usable"

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly recap of notable KDE desktop developments for this first week of April...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

"It's Still Rough, But It's Usable" which means it crashes a lot and you'll want to punch your monitor.

A work in progress.

Comment

Originally posted by Slartifartblast View Post
      "It's Still Rough, But It's Usable" which means it crashes a lot and you'll want to punch your monitor.

A work in progress.
      Just needs few hundred iterations of Wayland fixes.

The cumulative sum of bug fixes and features in minor KDE/Qt revisions exceeds tens of thousands of fixes and thousands of new features each year. Imagine how shitty the other DEs are without at least 100000 bug fixes per year.

Comment

I note many complaints on PLASMA environment missing the improvements it is involved. Developers should introduce a list of improvements applied to Plasma after the user has installed the updates of the new version of its main operating system structural programs by a disclaimer in Discover or in a separate windows.
        Last edited by MorrisS.; 09 April 2023, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I hope they commit to support hdr by the time this version releases

Comment

I still have nightmares from SC 4.0, let's hope this won't be a replication.

Comment

Well there's a line that describes plasma really well in general.

Comment

"It's Rough, And It's Unusable" - GNOME devs commented on their creation.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post
                  "It's Rough, And It's Unusable" - GNOME devs commented on their creation.
                  Pot, kettle. To this day.

Comment

Plasma 5 is pretty broken. Hopefully they fix a lot of the common issues:

Clipboard sometimes refuses to work across apps, despite trying all the clipboard settings.

Dragging files into the browser often don't work, which works in Windows. Ark also doesn't support opening files directly from the window or dragging out into a file manager. I end up using lxqt archiver.

There's a bunch of others, especially on Wayland.

Comment

Working...
                    X