Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Connect 2.0 Planning For Big Improvements

Phoronix: KDE Connect 2.0 Planning For Big Improvements

KDE Connect is the great software that allows for interfacing between the KDE desktop and your various mobile devices running Android, Plasma Mobile, Apple iOS, or even Sailfish OS. KDE Connect allows easily sharing files and data with your mobile device(s), receiving phone notifications on your desktop, and a lot of other remote/cross-device functionality. The KDE Connect 2.0 initiative that is taking shape this year thanks to full-time development work is going to modernize this open-source solution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Simple reliability would be awesome. For years now and across several phones with the power saving settings adjusted, I can never count on the app to be connected when I want to use it. As I sit here now, my phone is on the charger and connected to the local network. Yet from my computer, KDE Connect shows that the paired device is unavailable. Occasionally the app will connect, and the computer will bombard me with past notifications from the phone.

Comment

I wish it would have a Bluetooth back-end too.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
        Simple reliability would be awesome. For years now and across several phones with the power saving settings adjusted, I can never count on the app to be connected when I want to use it. As I sit here now, my phone is on the charger and connected to the local network. Yet from my computer, KDE Connect shows that the paired device is unavailable. Occasionally the app will connect, and the computer will bombard me with past notifications from the phone.
        I had this problem, then I noticed that the phone was on stand-by (on but the screen off) and this meant that the services such as KDE connect is disconnected to save battery (efficiently saving battery time like you mention). It's both an annoyance and a good thing, which means (at least on this application on android) no data is used in the background when not using the phone.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

I had this problem, then I noticed that the phone was on stand-by (on but the screen off) and this meant that the services such as KDE connect is disconnected to save battery (efficiently saving battery time like you mention). It's both an annoyance and a good thing, which means (at least on this application on android) no data is used in the background when not using the phone.
          This is a characteristic of newer versions of Android. It even put apps that you don't open frequently on hibernation. They will stay there until you open them again. I'm sure there must be a way to let some apps to be on all the time, but since I'm not in need of it I never bothered to search for it.

Comment

Nice, didn't know there was a native version for SailfishOS.

Comment

This is fantastic news! I use KDE Connect daily to remotely control both my desktop and steamdeck when I'm using them as media centres. Extremely handy utility, much nicer than having to keep a standalone wireless keyboard/mouse on hand.

Comment

Go to settings, search for "battery", go to the setting called "Battery optimization", switch to "All apps", go to your app, and set it to "Don't optimize".

I have to do that for Poweramp.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Go to settings, search for "battery", go to the setting called "Battery optimization", switch to "All apps", go to your app, and set it to "Don't optimize".

I have to do that for Poweramp.
                  Done, on each of the various phones I have had over the past several years. Did not fix the problem.

Comment

Done, on each of the various phones I have had over the past several years. Did not fix the problem.
                    Damn. That sucks. Android can be overly aggressive with their screen-off power savings. I have a Moto G Power with a nearly stock Android. If you happen to have an LG or a Samsung with a more customized Android it might have its own power saving settings. As far as other stock battery settings that I know of, you could try turning off the Adaptive Battery setting.

I don't use KDE Connect. Every time I hear the notification sound from my phone I cringe and get upset. The last thing I need are even more sounds from the PC.

Comment

Working...
                    X