Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.6 Released With Bundled Musl Libc Math Library

Phoronix: Wine 8.6 Released With Bundled Musl Libc Math Library

Wine 8.6 is out as the newest bi-weekly development release of this open-source software to enjoy Windows games and applications on Linux and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wine 8.6 is out as the newest bi-weekly development release
    heh...

Comment

I have never installed/needed Wine. But Proton is there in Steam for games. Is this a trend or I am just an anomaly?

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
        I have never installed/needed Wine. But Proton is there in Steam for games. Is this a trend or I am just an anomaly?
        i am a bit confused about what you are asking but proton is a modified version of wine with additions and changes by valve and others to improve compatibility with games as wine is meant for more general things

Comment

> ...as well as helping with a future FPU emulation library

Wait what? What systems that Wine runs on don't have an FPU? Other than some microprocessors or 20+ year old CPUs I cannot think of any, and running Wine on one of those has definitely worse problems than missing FPU support...

Comment

Wine is the majority of proton.

Comment

Not really. I mean, you are still using Wine even if you haven't explicitly installed it system-wide. Proton is a collection of programs, and Wine is one of those applications in that bundle.
              I personally use Wine to play games and don't have Steam, I think that's more of an anomaly at this point.

Comment

I am only worried that Wine development will be too dependent on Proton if most people are like me. I would love to see Microsoft replacing the whole Windows development with Wine on top of Linux in the end. But that sounds like fantasy right now. But who could have guessed a decade ago Windows would have WSL one day.

Comment

Why don't Microsoft acquire CodeWeavers?
                  They have acquired Xamarin, which have had written its own .NET called "Mono" and supported it.
                  But why don't they acquire the WINE suppoter CodeWeavers?

Then Microsoft could create a CrossOver with original Windows Fonts, original Windows graphics and libraries with original Windows code.

Comment

Originally posted by theuserbl View Post
                    Then Microsoft could create a CrossOver with original Windows Fonts, original Windows graphics and libraries with original Windows code.
                    And where's the most important thing? You know, 🤑🤑

Comment

Working...
                    X