Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Gear 23.04 Released With Many UI Improvements, New Features

Phoronix: KDE Gear 23.04 Released With Many UI Improvements, New Features

KDE Gear 23.04 has been released today as the newest version of this collection of KDE desktop applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I don't know why KDE would want to copy Windows 11 with that task bar layout at the bottom of the screen there. Pretty well all power users find Windows 11 to be a step backward, and KDE is built for power users. Have they lost sight of what their demographic is?

Comment

Originally posted by Lanz View Post
      I don't know why KDE would want to copy Windows 11 with that task bar layout at the bottom of the screen there. Pretty well all power users find Windows 11 to be a step backward, and KDE is built for power users. Have they lost sight of what their demographic is?
      Good thing then that you can configure pretty much any taskbar layout in KDE you want. In fact, this is exactly what the author of the screenshot did. The default layout is much closer to the one used by Windows 7, 8 and 10.

Comment

Spectacle for taking KDE desktop screenshots has seen a "total redesign" of the UI to make it faster and easier to use. Spectacle also now supports screen recording on Wayland.
        Great, but screen recording on Wayland for sure needs PipeWire and unfortunately just a few distros, even in 2023, come with it installed by default.

Indeed, that's a really stupid design!

Which also breaks the great usability tricks of going to the bottom-left corner and click for the start menu and going to the bottom-right corner and click for the show desktop feature, both that can be done even with the eyes closed.

I hope they don't plan to make such a stupid design the default just to make it more similar to the Windows 11 crapware.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
          Great, but screen recording on Wayland for sure needs PipeWire and unfortunately just a few distros, even in 2023, come with it installed by default.
          Crapbuntu has it by default since 22.10. PopOS! since 22.04. Fedora since forever already. I would say it is a default choice for some time and other distro users can surely find out how to install it. Been using it for 2 years and it works much better OOB than pshhpshhaudio.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Ekhem. I think you're missing the fact that it's PipeWire AUDIO that's not used by distros (though that's rapidly changing). You can have both old audio stacks coexist with pipewire installed for video only.

And whoever is running KDE Wayland, already has the xdg-desktop-portal-kde which would take care of using PipeWire and which is most likely used for Spectacle's screen recording (unless there's something else going on internally).

Comment

I don't know why you're complaining about a screenshot with the non-default layout. That's like complaining GNOME is copying macOS when you see a screenshot of GNOME with Dash-to-Dock at the bottom of the screen.

Comment

What's the better layout?

Comment

Only so called "power users" are the users of KDE?

Comment

ITT: people who have never seen or heard of OSX's decades old dock, or the integration of the audio player into a condensed form on the taskbar in the screenshot, or that the other screenshots do not have a floating taskbar and thus can easily click the start menu by throwing the cursor to the bottom left

i never realized 'kde gear' was a collection of apps, that seems grammatically wrong

i also thought invidious had problems or was getting abandoned, shouldnt plasmatube be using piped and/or newpipe?

Comment

Working...
                    X