Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.0.1 Released With Three Dozen Bugs Fixed

Phoronix: Wine 8.0.1 Released With Three Dozen Bugs Fixed

Building off the Wine 8.0 stable release from January, out today is Wine 8.0.1 as the first maintenance point release to this open-source software for enjoying Windows games and applications under Linux, Chrome OS, macOS, and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There is needed mapping older .NET calls to its newer API when there is already .NET under Linux released. Go to HELL with Mono shit.

Comment

Surprised that the first stable point release is out this early. The x.0.1 stable point releases used to be released around fall.

On another slightly off topic note, does anyone know why doesn't WineHQ release Wine-stable builds for Ubuntu and Fedora releases of the first half of the year? (like Fedora 34, 36, 38, etc). They don't even mention this fact in their installation instructions for every distro, which is extremely misleading. About a year ago I wanted to install Wine stable on Fedora 36, so I added the WineHQ repo only to find out that the Wine-stable build is unavailable for Fedora 36. Just to be clear, they do eventually release Wine-stable builds for H1 distros, but only after a few months.
      Last edited by user1; 20 April 2023, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post
        Surprised that the first stable point release is out this early. The x.0.1 stable point releases used to be released around fall.

On another slightly off topic note, does anyone know why doesn't WineHQ release Wine-stable builds for Ubuntu and Fedora releases of the first half of the year? (like Fedora 34, 36, 38, etc). They don't even mention this fact in their installation instructions for every distro, which is extremely misleading. About a year ago I wanted to install Wine stable on Fedora 36, so I added the WineHQ repo only to find out that the Wine-stable build is unavailable for Fedora 36. Just to be clear, they do eventually release Wine-stable builds for H1 distros, but only after a few months.
        People are using steam/bottle/lutris these days, there's no need to install wine system wide because those apps manage their own version of wine under flatpak.

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post

People are using steam/bottle/lutris these days, there's no need to install wine system wide because those apps manage their own version of wine under flatpak.
          Tbh, it might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the whole Wine ecosystem is in a really sad state because of the over-reliance on the bazillion of custom patched Wine versions from Lutris / Bottles, etc that god knows which one works better for what. I think people should strive more to improve Vanilla Wine. Yes, I understand that part of the reason these custom patched version exist in the first place is because it's impossible to upstream some stuff (for example, because of licensing issues), but I also have a feeling the developers of these custom versions don't even try to upstream patches that are possible to upstrem (unlike Valve, which upstreams stuff that was previously downstream and only part of Proton).

Personally, if I see that my software works with Vanilla Wine, I just use Vanilla Wine. Otherwise I try running it with Proton.
          Btw, I've also had a case when a certain game actually ran properly on Vanilla Wine, but poorly on a custom one (I think it was Wine-GE).

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Tbh, it might be an unpopular opinion, but I think the whole Wine ecosystem is in a really sad state because of the over-reliance on the bazillion of custom patched Wine versions from Lutris / Bottles, etc that god knows which one works better for what. I think people should strive more to improve Vanilla Wine. Yes, I understand that part of the reason these custom patched version exist in the first place is because it's impossible to upstream some stuff (for example, because of licensing issues), but I also have a feeling the developers of these custom versions don't even try to upstream patches that are possible to upstrem (unlike Valve, which upstreams stuff that was previously downstream and only part of Proton).

Personally, if I see that my software works with Vanilla Wine, I just use Vanilla Wine. Otherwise I try running it with Proton.
            Btw, I've also had a case when a certain game actually ran properly on Vanilla Wine, but poorly on a custom one (I think it was Wine-GE).
            Saying "wine is in a bad state" is just like saying "Linux is in a bad state with all the distro out there" I think both are just fine.

Managing you own wine installation sounds like hassle. I mean, with bottles, you can manage your wine installation easily, like for example, when I had a problem with my game, I asked in a group chat, and someone suggested to enable gamemode, and I can just easily do that by toggling a button, and my problem was gone. And you can do much more like changing wine version, playing with dependencies to make your unique app works, and all that without cluttering your system. If you no longer need something, just delete it, as simple as that.

Comment

Anyone gotten GOG Galaxy 2.0 working under vanilla? I keep coming up against this some libcef rendering issue. Otherwise, it appears to work flawlessly (having used the off-line installer).
              Hi

Comment

Originally posted by stiiixy View Post
                Anyone gotten GOG Galaxy 2.0 working under vanilla? I keep coming up against this some libcef rendering issue. Otherwise, it appears to work flawlessly (having used the off-line installer).
                You could try Heroic Games Launcher as it combines Epic and GOG launchers.

Comment

Im currently in the market for a hip, groovey fan-dangled 'front-end' that can do

A file integrity check.

It's one thing I'm not 100% on.
                  Hi

Comment

Working...
                  X