Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Focused On Tackling Many Bugs This Week

Phoronix: KDE Developers Focused On Tackling Many Bugs This Week

KDE developers were quite busy this week... In addition to shipping KDE Gear 23.04, lots of bug fixing took place this week with around half of Plasma's VHI priority bugs being addressed...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

KDE should implement the Ribbon UI interface from Microsoft!
    Maybe then it would be less confusing!
    Maybe take some hints from Microsoft Windows or Apple macOS.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      KDE should implement the Ribbon UI interface from Microsoft!
      Maybe then it would be less confusing!
      Maybe take some hints from Microsoft Windows or Apple macOS.
      As long as we can turn it off. A lack of Ribbon UI is one of the big pros of Linux apps for me.

Comment

Plasma no longer crashes when playing certain YouTube videos in a browser with Plasma Browser Integration
        Seriously? I'm deeply sorry if I sound harsh, but such a bug even existing is unacceptable.

Comment

I hope one day they'll have an accurate progress meter on file copies

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

Seriously? I'm deeply sorry if I sound harsh, but such a bug even existing is unacceptable.
            Like this?
            Hi. Since a couple of month now I'm having issues with my 5700 XT. I'm running version 22.2.2 (can't upgrade to 22.2.3 -> my graphics card is not detected by AMD when launching AMD Radeon Software).   The issue is that as soon as I launch youtube on a chromium based driver. One of my screen (current...

And how about this?
            Having issues with YouTube crashing in chrome? Fix this problem by updating your browser and clearing your cache, or try our other solutions.
            Last edited by mrg666; 22 April 2023, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Like this?
              Hi. Since a couple of month now I'm having issues with my 5700 XT. I'm running version 22.2.2 (can't upgrade to 22.2.3 -> my graphics card is not detected by AMD when launching AMD Radeon Software).   The issue is that as soon as I launch youtube on a chromium based driver. One of my screen (current...

And how about this?
              https://windowsreport.com/youtube-freezes-chrome/
              How are these related to random YouTube videos crashing your entire DE? I mean something like this just never happens on other DE's / Windows/ MacOS.
              We are talking about the desktop environment here, not other factors like crappy drivers.

Comment

How are these related to random YouTube videos crashing your entire DE? I mean something like this just never happens on other DE's / Windows/ MacOS.
                We are talking about the desktop environment here, not other factors like crappy drivers.
                It's called "shit rolls down hill". Your driver crashes which causes the app to crash which causes the DE to crash. Last night I had FF crash which caused the Windows desktop to go gray for a few seconds while Windows did its crash recovery. KDE/Linux doesn't have that crash recovery feature. That's why people don't notice those crashes nearly as much on Windows as they do on other operating systems.

Anecdotally, in regards to drivers, on neither Linux nor Windows did I ever have a YouTube crashing problem until I upgraded my RX 580 to a 6700 XT. Now it's a regular occurrence.

Comment

I would argue it is incomparably worse for GPU drivers or your web browser to crash from videos than a DE's integrated browser. The former shows a complete lack of testing for a product that millions of people use where switching to an alternative is easier to suggest than to do. The latter is a gimmicky feature that perhaps only a few hundred people use (in the manner the bug described) and fails from specific conditions.

If the bug were "any web browser playing any video in KDE will cause plasma to crash" that would be outrageous and shameful, even for volunteer devs.
                  If the bug were "Plasma browser integration playing any video will cause plasma to crash" would be a problem because it shows blatant negligence of testing, but it's still a feature that not a lot of people would have a reason to use.
                  But, since it's only certain videos on a niche feature, I could honestly understand how this slipped past the devs.
                  Last edited by schmidtbag; 22 April 2023, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Last night I had FF crash which caused the Windows desktop to go gray for a few seconds while Windows did its crash recovery. KDE/Linux doesn't have that crash recovery feature. That's why people don't notice those crashes nearly as much on Windows as they do on other operating systems.
                    Are you sure it was Firefox that caused your Windows desktop to go gray and not something else? I've also used Firefox on Windows and I had a few occasions when it froze and the FF window turned white/gray, so I had to force close it. But it didn't crash my Windows desktop. On Windows, regular apps generally shouldn't take down your desktop and when an app crashes, you usually see a message like this.

And yes, that crash recovery feature you're talking about is available on Windows only, but it's only for graphics drivers (due to better graphics driver standardization on Windows thanks to the WDDM infrastructure). It has nothing to do with the Windows desktop.

But my point in the previous reply was that in the KDE issue there were no external factors (like graphics drivers) that caused Plasma to crash. It was only the browser itself and the Plasma browser integration.
                    Last edited by user1; 22 April 2023, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X