Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Ends Out April Continuing Its "Bug Slaughterfest"

Phoronix: KDE Ends Out April Continuing Its "Bug Slaughterfest"

KDE developers this month have been tackling many open bugs as well as seeing the early Plasma 6 development state rough yet usable. In ending out April, they continued their "bug slaughterfest" in whittling away at their open bug count...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile, KWin compositing on Xorg for whatever reason makes playback in mpv look choppy on Radeon. VRR gaming on Wayland works, but unlike Xorg without compositing, doesn't look perfectly fluid with 100% GPU load. Could be reporting bugs on Linux 24/7, I guess it will never end....

Comment

Being able to set panel opacity manually is awesome! It was coupled to the desktop theme, and I was often finding myself in a situation of liking the theme, but not the amount of panel transparancy it sets.

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
        VRR gaming on Wayland works, but unlike Xorg without compositing, doesn't look perfectly fluid with 100% GPU load
        It works quite well on my machine, KDE has direct scanout on wayland for fullscreen programs. Are you sure it isn't a problem with your settings?

Comment

Originally posted by osw89 View Post
          Are you sure it isn't a problem with your settings?
          Yes .

Comment

Yes .
            You probably already know this, but just in case... You're aware of Mesa being shipped with VRR config that decides what software is considered VRR compatible?

At least I am pretty sure I remember this being a thing that prevented VRR being active.

There's various other issues in the mix though I think. I remember a Collabora blog post about explicit sync or something like that being worked towards and that it was important for Wayland to render nicely? (might have been Vulkan related) I think they explained why it wasn't as much of an issue for X11.. so it could be related to that if VRR is working, but poorly on Wayland.

Comment

Could be reporting bugs on Linux 24/7, I guess it will never end....
              Likely not.

Just like Windows.

The difference is, that Linux is (usually) much more transparent in reporting bugs, reporting current progress towards resolution of bugs, and reporting of final resolution (even if it is a "will not fix" or "someone elses' problem" response) and while I've filed a number of reports in Windows for issues in preview releases... those exact same issues are often present in the release version, without even acknowledgement that they are there. Occasionally they're fixed, but again without even acknowledgement that they existed in the first place. I have no "insider knowledge" or personal contacts, but the expectation of a multi-billion-dollar corporation that their users will act as QA while remaining completely silent toward them is... not better.
              Last edited by Paradigm Shifter; 29 April 2023, 10:13 PM. Reason: Added extra thought.

Comment

Meanwhile, KWin compositing on Xorg for whatever reason makes playback in mpv look choppy on Radeon. VRR gaming on Wayland works, but unlike Xorg without compositing, doesn't look perfectly fluid with 100% GPU load. Could be reporting bugs on Linux 24/7, I guess it will never end....
                i don't think vrr issue is a kde issue as more of a wayland issue. as you noted, wayland has forced compositing. there will always be added latency, and that latency will show up more on displays that are very fast in their response time. with my 100hz 3440x1440 35inch VA ultrawide i have a hard time noticing the difference, but on my 165hz 27in 1440p nano ips, i can spot the difference fast with wayland vs x11 vrr. i can actually spot the difference even with vrr disabled with that display. wayland really needs an option to disable compositing.. to beat the dead horse, even windows disables compositing for fullscreen applications and has done major work in reducing latency when in window mode. especially with windows 11.

that said, i still use wayland full time because i use my ultrawide 95% of the time. games look so nice on a 35inch screen.
                Last edited by pieman; 30 April 2023, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post
                  Being able to set panel opacity manually is awesome! It was coupled to the desktop theme, and I was often finding myself in a situation of liking the theme, but not the amount of panel transparancy it sets.
                  It sure is awesome! One more thing from KDE3/TDE they're bringing back. I wonder what's taken them so long to bring it back, though. I mean: it's not a matter of Qt 5 lacking support or whatever as LXQt does support it.

Comment

Working...
                  X