OBS Studio 29.1 Released With AV1/HEVC Streaming Over Enhanced RTMP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OBS Studio 29.1 Released With AV1/HEVC Streaming Over Enhanced RTMP

Phoronix: OBS Studio 29.1 Released With AV1/HEVC Streaming Over Enhanced RTMP

OBS Studio 29.1 is shipping today and it features AV1 and HEVC RTMP streaming support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Interesting that, suddenly that AV1 is "out" (encoding is supported by major graphics cards), suddenly using HEVC to stream is not a problem at all, even though it had hardware support since Polaris or earlier...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Interesting that, suddenly that AV1 is "out" (encoding is supported by major graphics cards), suddenly using HEVC to stream is not a problem at all, even though it had hardware support since Polaris or earlier...
      AV1 has been out for several years now, but just last year the cog started to spin. With new technology, it will take time to adjust it's capabilities.

Comment

2 years before Polaris (Nvidia Maxwell / 900 series)

And regarding youtube support/ accepting HEVC streams via RTMP it did so for years.

Comment

you were able to stream HEVC for a while now in OBS to youtube via HLS, AV1 was the issue, this is just hevc and av1 added to the new rtmp spec

Comment

Sadly neither YouTube, nor Twitch allow to stream in AV1 directly without reencoding to VP9/H.264 accordingly. This is really upsetting.

No idea about Vimeo, Facebook/Instagram and other streaming services since very few are using them. I remember Facebook had a really atrocious streaming quality.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
              Sadly neither YouTube, nor Twitch allow to stream in AV1 directly without reencoding to VP9/H.264 accordingly. This is really upsetting.
              I don't mind it myself, the massive benefit is for streamers themselves, people like me who only reliably get 8mb upload speed total, which means I can do like, 4-5mbps unless im alone in the house. this is where the majority of benefit is going to come from. so this alone is quite massive.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I don't mind it myself, the massive benefit is for streamers themselves, people like me who only reliably get 8mb upload speed total, which means I can do like, 4-5mbps unless im alone in the house. this is where the majority of benefit is going to come from. so this alone is quite massive.
                Thing is the re-encoded stream might very well be butchered to such degree that even the h264 stream would be looking better when served as is.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Currently AV1 uploading works only for YouTube and their real time VP9 encoder is just atrocious and H.264 encoder is lacking bitrate so it's equally bad.

Their offline VP9/AV1 encoders are decent but again they are only for uploading complete videos, not for streaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop05 View Post

Thing is the re-encoded stream might very well be butchered to such degree that even the h264 stream would be looking better when served as is.
                    Originally posted by avis View Post

Currently AV1 uploading works only for YouTube and their real time VP9 encoder is just atrocious and H.264 encoder is lacking bitrate so it's equally bad.

Their offline VP9/AV1 encoders are decent but again they are only for uploading complete videos, not for streaming.
                    their real time VP9 encoder is quite good, especially at 1440p+ it's very high quality. not sure what issues you have had with it, but it's quality dwarfs twitch's quality when you pump a good quality video through it​

Comment

Working...
                    X