Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dav1d 1.2 Released With More SIMD Optimizations

Phoronix: dav1d 1.2 Released With More SIMD Optimizations

Dav1d as the open-source AV1 video decoder developed as part of the VideoLAN project is out with a new minor feature release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But where is VLC media player v4?
    It is expected for 2024. Such a long, long, wait!

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      VLC: the ultimate media player​
      Allow me to introduce you to mpv.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
        Allow me to introduce you to mpv.
        Hard pass.

Comment

Originally posted by brad0 View Post

Hard pass.
          Your loss.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post
            Your loss.
            Not in the slightest.

Comment

Not in the slightest.
              sadly it is, VLC is often ridden with bugs, rendering bugs under VLC are not uncommon at all, and usually necessitate swapping to a different video player, so your only good options are a madvr based one if you are on windows, which IMO is very mediocre. or an MPV based one (at the very least there are plenty, but IMO vanilla mpv is still best)

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              But where is VLC media player v4?
              It is expected for 2024. Such a long, long, wait!
              there area a few things at play, judging from the nightlies, one such for instance is libplacebo integration (MPV's gpu-next renderer) is not as simple as it seems since every time I try it, it's broken. so I would not be surprised if thats a factor. they also havent done the settings UI yet. I wouldnt be surprised if a majority if their resources are spent maintaing the current version.​

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                sadly it is, VLC is often ridden with bugs, rendering bugs under VLC are not uncommon at all, and usually necessitate swapping to a different video player, so your only good options are a madvr based one if you are on windows, which IMO is very mediocre. or an MPV based one (at the very least there are plenty, but IMO vanilla mpv is still best)
                No, not really. Anyway, hard pass.

Comment

No, not really. Anyway, hard pass.
                  what do you mean by not really? VLC is an inferior player in nearly every regard when it comes to actually playing the videos lmao

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

what do you mean by not really? VLC is an inferior player in nearly every regard when it comes to actually playing the videos lmao
                    It is only player for me that could reliably let me watch videos from less known formats + the only player i know that actually tries to play corrupted video instead of straight refusing to play it.

Comment

Working...
                    X