No announcement yet.

AMD openSIL Will Eventually Replace AGESA, Supporting Both Client & Server CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD openSIL Will Eventually Replace AGESA, Supporting Both Client & Server CPUs

Phoronix: AMD openSIL Will Eventually Replace AGESA, Supporting Both Client & Server CPUs

For those that haven't yet watched the AMD openSIL presentation from the OCP Regional Summit in Prague from April, the most interesting takeaway was deserving of its own article... AMD openSIL is planned to eventually replace the well known AGESA and that it will be supported across AMD's entire processor stack -- just not limited to EPYC server processors as some were initially concerned but will support all AMD processors...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That would be awesome, but I've heard too many fw-related bold claims to believe it. I'll believe it once I will be able to read the source code.
    Which binaries would we be left with once AGESA will be replaced by openSIL? I guess the system won't still be fully open.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Will new AMD CPUs be any more than Intel CPUs?
      If I have to buy something today I am leaning towards Intel because I know they have good quality graphics drivers and I know they have everything upstreamed in the mainline Linux kernel long before product launch.

If AMD CPUs were more open than Intel CPUs then that is something that would make me consider AMD.

But I feel both Intel and AMD have legacy products and my impressions is that they're inferior to Apple M2 which if I understand things right have workstation or desktop performance in a thin laptop. I am not really interested in an Apple product though, so I am hoping Qualcomm launches some ARM offering, or maybe Microsoft. RISC-V seems just a pipedream.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        If I have to buy something today I am leaning towards Intel because I know they have good quality graphics drivers and I know they have everything upstreamed in the mainline Linux kernel long before product launch.

If AMD CPUs were more open than Intel CPUs then that is something that would make me consider AMD.

But I feel both Intel and AMD have legacy products and my impressions is that they're inferior to Apple M2 which if I understand things right have workstation or desktop performance in a thin laptop. I am not really interested in an Apple product though, so I am hoping Qualcomm launches some ARM offering, or maybe Microsoft. RISC-V seems just a pipedream.
        That Intel perspective all fine and well if you're the earliest of early adopters, have money to burn, or don't factor in e-waste into your purchasing decisions, but for the average person or company AMD is timely enough in regards to hardware releases and drivers being upstreamed that most people won't notice or even care. That doesn't even factor in the LTS Elephant in the room which affects both AMD and Intel equally bad but not NVIDIA at all. You'd think AMD and Intel would have out-of-tree DKMS versions of their drivers just because of the LTS Elephant.

Long-term, IMHO, Intel is a net loss for their users. Their drivers aren't known to Fine Wine Mature like AMD drivers as well as their platforms and CPU sockets change more often than I change car tires making them both a money pit and less eco-friendly than AMD.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post

And this is posted on a Linux/FOSS site....

AMD should just sell everything and close shop, because no matter what they do, they are always seen as the worst of the worst in everything.

They have no hope.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

And this is posted on a Linux/FOSS site....

AMD should just sell everything and close shop, because no matter what they do, they are always seen as the worst of the worst in everything.

They have no hope.
            M2 only beats anyone in synthetics... and in applications where it has accelerators and the competition is artificially limited to not have accelerators.

AMD's latest APUs are hands down faster than the M2 by far. Good luck with open soruce drivers on the M2 as well... you are smokin crack.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That Intel perspective all fine and well if you're the earliest of early adopters, have money to burn, or don't factor in e-waste into your purchasing decisions, but for the average person or company AMD is timely enough in regards to hardware releases and drivers being upstreamed that most people won't notice or even care. That doesn't even factor in the LTS Elephant in the room which affects both AMD and Intel equally bad but not NVIDIA at all. You'd think AMD and Intel would have out-of-tree DKMS versions of their drivers just because of the LTS Elephant.
              Um? https://www.amd.com/en/support/linux-drivers

You an download packaged DKMS drivers for AMD GPUs for RHEL, Ubuntu LTS, and SLES/SLED.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

Long-term, IMHO, Intel is a net loss for their users. Their drivers aren't known to Fine Wine Mature like AMD drivers as well as their platforms and CPU sockets change more often than I change car tires making them both a money pit and less eco-friendly than AMD.
                About ECO friendliness: as far as I'm aware, Ryzen processors on Linux don't support C6 states yet. Meaning they are power hogs compared to Intel.

Comment

I will wait till any source code materialize, otherwise 2026 is really far away and AMD in meantime​ can change direction on this, like they did in the past.
                  RBEU #1000000000 - Registered Bad English User

Comment

Originally posted by cb88 View Post

M2 only beats anyone in synthetics... and in applications where it has accelerators and the competition is artificially limited to not have accelerators.

AMD's latest APUs are hands down faster than the M2 by far. Good luck with open soruce drivers on the M2 as well... you are smokin crack.
                    I think that you quoted the wrong person.

Perhaps my post was to dense or dark or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X