Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Hiring For Another Open-Source Linux/Mesa Developer

Phoronix: AMD Is Hiring For Another Open-Source Linux/Mesa Developer

While there are sadly many tech layoffs happening, one company that continues hiring at least on the Linux side is AMD. A new job posting was made today with AMD looking to recruit another developers to work on their open-source Linux graphics driver stack -- in particular, with the AMD Radeon Mesa code...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wonder if this means they can support hardware on release day rather than months after…

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
      Wonder if this means they can support hardware on release day rather than months after…
      We've had open source release day support for years now. In most cases support is upstream months ahead of launch.

Comment

This is good to see, passion hobby (possibly) being upgraded to professional work. Hope this spot gets filled fast, easy and for the right person for all to benefit when work is done (After the position is filled).

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
          Yeah, this more or less a problem with what distro you're using. Arch or Fedora or Tumbleweed or some sort of derivative that runs the latest and greatest kernel? You should be more or less a release day support. Personally, I'd still give it a month or 2 for bugs to work out, but that's me. If you're using something like Debian or Ubuntu you might have a harder time getting release day support unless you jump through hoops to run the latest kernel.

Comment

Excellent news, I wonder if they will make something like corectrl or add to it to make it more powerful and noob friendly like what Nvidia has in controlling fan and what AMD has for windows

Comment

Forgive me for crashing the party, but why only focus on OpenGL?

Even on my AMD Radeon R9 380 (which is already obsolote according to AMD's official AMDVLK driver), I use RADV for both gaming & videos [mpv's gpu-next Vulkan renderer].

Why ignore RADV, when 99%+ of AMD Linux users are relying on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post
                Forgive me for crashing the party, but why only focus on OpenGL?

Even on my AMD Radeon R9 380 (which is already obsolote according to AMD's official AMDVLK driver), I use RADV for both gaming & videos [mpv's gpu-next Vulkan renderer].

Why ignore RADV, when 99%+ of AMD Linux users are relying on it?
                People often do other things on Linux besides gaming ...

Comment

Originally posted by rhavenn View Post

Yeah, this more or less a problem with what distro you're using. Arch or Fedora or Tumbleweed or some sort of derivative that runs the latest and greatest kernel? You should be more or less a release day support. Personally, I'd still give it a month or 2 for bugs to work out, but that's me. If you're using something like Debian or Ubuntu you might have a harder time getting release day support unless you jump through hoops to run the latest kernel.
                  I don't think Debian stable is meant to be used on bleeding edge hardware. If you do so, you are expected to install backports, out-of-tree modules or even switch to testing.

Comment

I also find it a little odd to do only OpenGL, unless this is so the more seasoned developers can focus on other aspects while still having someone to maintain Mesa.

Comment

Working...
                    X