Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PipeWire Audio Backend Comes To QEMU

Phoronix: PipeWire Audio Backend Comes To QEMU

Adding to the list of features coming with QEMU 8.1 is now having a native PipeWire audio back-end...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So this is basically an alternative for -audiodev pa​?

Comment

Will be good to see apps gradually migrate to pipewire so we can ditch pulseaudio once and for all.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
        Will be good to see apps gradually migrate to pipewire so we can ditch pulseaudio once and for all.
        Pipewire is now Pulseaudio. I mean, the compatibility is somewhere around 95%. What's the point of supporting pipewire when it already works through libpulse?

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

Pipewire is now Pulseaudio. I mean, the compatibility is somewhere around 95%. What's the point of supporting pipewire when it already works through libpulse?
          Newer API.

Comment

this makes me very happy, jack is good, but it's a bit of a pain to use. pulse is not very flexible, and the preformance of it is very lack luster. time to edit docs

Comment

If PipeWire is merely acting in PulseAudio compatibility mode, it can only support the features that PulseAudio already has. Using PipeWire directly instead allows applications to take advantage of any current and future PipeWire native features instead of being limited by the features exposed by baseline compatibility shims.

Comment

This Fedora background looks really nice.

Comment

Originally posted by RahulSundaram View Post

If PipeWire is merely acting in PulseAudio compatibility mode, it can only support the features that PulseAudio already has. Using PipeWire directly instead allows applications to take advantage of any current and future PipeWire native features instead of being limited by the features exposed by baseline compatibility shims.
                  I don't see the need for a new client library for applications. Besides, what kind of features do regular apps need? If we are talking about music applications (DAWs, etc.), then there is libjack for that, which pipewire can do as well.

Comment

I don't see the need for a new client library for applications. Besides, what kind of features do regular apps need? If we are talking about music applications (DAWs, etc.), then there is libjack for that, which pipewire can do as well.
                    One of the big reasons for PipeWire is support for desktop portals for sandboxed applications.

Comment

Working...
                    X