KDE Plasma 6 Aiming For Better Defaults - Including Wayland By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 Aiming For Better Defaults - Including Wayland By Default

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 Aiming For Better Defaults - Including Wayland By Default

Following the recent Plasma 6 developer sprint in Bavaria is an update on the achievements from that KDE developer event. KDE developer Nate Graham published a blog post today that focuses on some of the default changes intended for Plasma 6.0, including hopes of being able to use the Wayland session by default...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Guess I'll go to the store and get some popcorn - gonna be fun coming back to this thread later

Comment

Vulkan rendering still out of reach

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
        Because it was not mentioned by Nate? It looks like even if it was discussed, he could've skipped as it was not the point of this blog entry.

If you look closely, you might see some development around Vulkan backend, e.g. https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...ge_requests/80

And even if it's ready for 6.0, I wouldn't count on it being the default

And if you look even closer, you might see why it's not being advertised at all https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...52#note_651943
        Last edited by slagiewka; 11 May 2023, 06:42 AM. Reason: Adding another reference

Comment

Wayland by default would be very nice.
          I've been on wayland since Gnome 42, and its really nice.
          Looking forward to this!!

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
            not really any point using Vulkan in a Linux WM at the moment since the Mesa drivers reuse GL functions internally and it won't work with Vulkan-only drivers.

Comment

Can't wait to stop building Qt5 version of apps that are already built and packaged with Qt6. Because Breeze Qt6 is not available and I am not crazy enough to use hacks like qt6gtk2. But I have a fear they may stop building Qt5 Breeze then.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

not really any point using Vulkan in a Linux WM at the moment since the Mesa drivers reuse GL functions internally and it won't work with Vulkan-only drivers.
                There's so many things wrong with that sentence...

Comment

Wayland by default is a very sensible choice. I have been using Wayland session for almost 2 years now, and it is very, very stable with MESA, almost no issues for me. Let Xorg die already.

Comment

Will they fix session restore before this switch?

Comment

Working...
                    X