Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNU Shepherd 0.10 Released For Guile-Written Init/Service Manager

Phoronix: GNU Shepherd 0.10 Released For Guile-Written Init/Service Manager

GNU Shepherd 0.10 is out today as the latest release for this GNU-backed service manager and init system that is written in Guile...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Honestly that service file syntax alone makes it a total non-starter for me and probably many others. Compared to ini/TOML style of systemd… I literally can’t make heads or tails of that syntax and where different things begin or end
    All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Honestly that service file syntax alone makes it a total non-starter for me and probably many others. Compared to ini/TOML style of systemd… I literally can’t make heads or tails of that syntax and where different things begin or end
      the syntax really isn't great but tbh it's not a real problem.
      what's interesting about it is that it is a real programming language. this could (sometimes) be helpful.

but well... i am a systemd fan anyway and learning multiple init systems is just painful. too many details to know

Comment

As a GNU project we can expect a 1.0 release sometime this century.

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post

the syntax really isn't great but tbh it's not a real problem.
          what's interesting about it is that it is a real programming language. this could (sometimes) be helpful.

but well... i am a systemd fan anyway and learning multiple init systems is just painful. too many details to know
          Turing complete configuration languages are a massive security risk in the making. E.g that is why sendmail experienced decades of horrible exploits.

Comment

The syntax is not the worst part, at least it's consistently parseable and machine-readable. The worst is that apparently it still uses pidfiles.

Comment

Originally posted by scottishduck View Post
              As a GNU project we can expect a 1.0 release sometime this century.
              You are a very optimistic fellow.

Comment

Then we strongly disagree :-)

I'm glad to see (m)any alternatives being worked on. At the very least it will bring diversity and improvements to the whole ecosystem.

Comment

Fully agree, just the thought of having to code review this compared to systemd units gives me chills.

Comment

It's a mixed blessing. Using a real programming language gives you power when you need it — but serious downsides too. Security risks, certainly... embedding a Turing-complete parser and runtime just to read config files massively increases attack surface. But it also makes it all but impossible for tools to manipulate those files, so they pretty much have to be hand-written.

Comment

Working...
                    X