Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Features Loved By Microsoft Engineers Working On WSL2

Phoronix: Linux Features Loved By Microsoft Engineers Working On WSL2

In addition to Microsoft having a significant present at last week's Linux Security Summit, there were also multiple Microsoft engineers at the Linux Foundation's Open-Source Summit that was also taking place in Vancouver. Among the Microsoft Linux talks this week was a presentation on the Linux kernel usage by WSL2 -- including how it's moving closer to a mainline/upstream status and also mentions of Linux kernel features loved by Microsoft's engineering team...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It was also interesting to see some of the features Microsoft engineers "absolutely love" about Linux.
    which will end up in windows without anyone knowing.

I know its a trap, but cant see it and it will be too late.

Comment

So when are they going to implement virtio-gpu+venus instead of toys like dxgkrnl+dozen that don't even perform as well as llvmpipe?

Comment

If they love PGO support, they might convince Linus to mainline it (plus BOLT while at it).

Comment

Google's development model? Release too often, and slowly become less and less stable?

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            If they love PGO support, they might convince Linus to mainline it (plus BOLT while at it).
            You don't need to use it on the kernel, you can use it on your software. Compile with profile-generate, then run the benchmark you want optimized. Then compile with profile-use and enjoy your single-benchmark optimized binaries
            Last edited by carewolf; 14 May 2023, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post
              Google's development model? Release too often, and slowly become less and less stable?
              I thought it was their other development model: Crap, it's that blasted GPL. Let's rewrite it in MIT/BSD!
              Last edited by skeevy420; 14 May 2023, 03:37 PM.

Comment

My question is what will happen to linux end-users, when Microsoft adopts an official linux operating system. I assume many end-users will move to Microsft operating system.

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
                  My question is what will happen to linux end-users, when Microsoft adopts an official linux operating system. I assume many end-users will move to Microsft operating system.
                  That's quite the conundrum. KDE+Microsoft Linux with Windows Levels of Gaming=Valve needs to HURRY IT THE HELL UP WITH STEAMOS. There's no other way around that formula.

Joking aside, I don't think it'll matter that much to home users. Perhaps corporate Linux will switch from IBM to Microsoft, follow Lennart is probably a good business strategy, but the average end-user like you or me will stick with Arch or SUSE or whatever we've been sticking to.

Comment

Originally posted by carewolf View Post

You don't need to use it on the kernel, you can use it on your software. Compare with profile-generate, then run the benchmark you want optimized. Then compile with profile-use and enjoy your single-benchmark optimized binaries
                    I already do this with Mesa and other software to squeeze everything out of my Haswell-EP CPU, also with the Kernel. My point was that the Kernel PGO patchset is not mainline yet as far as I know, however I carry it with me in my custom Kernel for some time now.

Comment

Working...
                    X