Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wayland's Weston 12.0 Released With Multi-GPU Support, PipeWire Backend, Tearing Control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wayland's Weston 12.0 Released With Multi-GPU Support, PipeWire Backend, Tearing Control

Phoronix: Wayland's Weston 12.0 Released With Multi-GPU Support, PipeWire Backend, Tearing Control

Weston 12.0 as Wayland's reference compositor is now available with multiple GPU support in the DRM back-end, support for HDMI content types, support for the Wayland tearing control protocol, plane alpha DRM property handling, a PipeWire back-end, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

What is the reason KDe PLASMA doesn't adopt weston?

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
      Not from KDE, but the most logical assumption is that they decided it'd be more work to port KWin's giant pile of features, compositor effects plugin API included, to Weston than to port KWin to Wayland.

Comment

That's a quite hard question to answer similar to "why develop Linux, we have Windows". How I would answer if I was a KDE developer.
        • Quite big amount of time needed to learn a new library even before starting to integrate it
        • Integration may be impossible due to architecture differences, or lead to huge amount of badly maintanable glue code
        • GNOME does not depend on Weston
        • I am a proud developer and don't want to throw away code I wrote and know well in favor of something unknown

Comment

What is the reason Gnome doesn't adopt kwin? or any of them adopt wlroots, or weston adopt mutter? because doing things your way is often better and easier then trying to force a different tool to work for you

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            What is the reason Gnome doesn't adopt kwin? or any of them adopt wlroots, or weston adopt mutter? because doing things your way is often better and easier then trying to force a different tool to work for you
            Gnome and kde start porting their compositor to Wayland before wlroots/sway exists.

Also pays to be aware for quite some time mutter depending on Xwayland to function. Why because mutter was for a long time using lots of legacy X11 compositor code basically as is with Wayland applications.
            Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yes mutter had something like this XWaylandVideoBrigde internally for quite some time so the old X11 compositor/windows manager code would work as is.

What mutter did in the past does bring interesting point. If you are willing to put up with overhead and someone is willing to put in the time X11 windows managers could be make work with a Wayland compositor.

Comment

Deadware.
              Pray it's not THE future of free GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                Deadware.
                Since Weston is used for WSL2 GUI apps it's far from dead - it's probably the most widely used Wayland compositor.
                Why Microsoft chose Weston is beyond me, though.
                Last edited by Zapp!; 18 May 2023, 01:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zapp! View Post

Since Weston is used for WSL2 GUI apps it's far from dead - it's probably the most widely used Wayland compositor.
                  Why Microsoft chose Weston is beyond me, though.
                  Because it's the most simple, barebones compositor available.

You are running Linux GUI software on Windows, not running a full desktop environment and window manager.

Comment

Originally posted by mos87 View Post
                    Deadware.
                    how does one even arrive to this conclusion? weston is the official compositor of AGL, well libweston. I would say that due to this alone, weston is probably the most used compositor of all of wayland compositors. let alone WSL2, I know it's used in industrial uses, set top boxes etc.

Comment

Working...
                    X