Ampere Computing Announces AmpereOne With Up to 192 Cores Per Socket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ampere Computing Announces AmpereOne With Up to 192 Cores Per Socket

Phoronix: Ampere Computing Announces AmpereOne With Up to 192 Cores Per Socket

Ampere Computing announced this morning that their AmpereOne family of processors have entered production and provided additional details on these in-house designed Arm server processors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

But can it run Crysis?

Comment

Michael

Typo/Error page 1

"As anticipated, AmpereOne moves from DDR5 and PCIe Gen 5.0"

They aren't on DDR6 and PCIe 6...so I think this should be to instead?

Comment

Originally posted by JEBjames View Post
        Michael

Typo/Error page 1

"As anticipated, AmpereOne moves from DDR5 and PCIe Gen 5.0"

They aren't on DDR6 and PCIe 6...so I think this should be to instead?
        Whoops yeah, originally was going to write from DDR4 and PCIe gen 4 to 5, but alas didn't come out that way. Fixed, thanks.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post
          But can it run Crysis?

Comment

With the retreat by AMD for the EPYC Dense back from 192 to 128 cores due to 3nm capacity issues, there might be a brief window of opportunity here for Ampere.

FWIW: Ampere is part owned by NVidia and ARM. Has had a distribution agreement with Lenovo and is headed up by a former Intel executive.

Comment

Mmm, still ARMv8... I dunno about that. v9 is a huge jump.

There isn't currently any AmpereOne processors planned for 128 cores or less currently covered by the Ampere Altra family. Presumably this is due to their big bet on aiming the new processors squarely for cloud service providers interested in maximizing VM density. I had inquired about the possibility of a lower core count AmpereOne developer processor or for those wanting less cores but interested in AmpereOne for BFloat16 or other new capabilities found with these new processors, but currently they don't have any products planned in this segment. In other words, go big or go home.
              I bet they can't afford/justify a small die, even if they would like one. The upfront capital costs get bigger and bigger with each node shrink.
              Last edited by brucethemoose; 18 May 2023, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Apple keeps its monopoly...

Comment

Are these only server chips, correct?

Got anything relevant for us desktop users? It would be nice if they stopped ignoring us.

Comment

Originally posted by ezst036 View Post
                    Are these only server chips, correct?

Got anything relevant for us desktop users? It would be nice if they stopped ignoring us.
                    ADLINK has just announced the availability of the Arm SystemReady SR-certified Ampere Altra Developer Platform equipped with the company's COM-HPC Ampere

Comment

Working...
                    X