Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Adds H.265 Video Decoding Support

Phoronix: Intel's Vulkan Linux Driver Adds H.265 Video Decoding Support

Intel's open-source Mesa Vulkan Video driver "ANV" has added support for H.265 (HEVC) video decoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Is anything using this yet? Apps / games etc

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
      The current problem is that Vulkan Video is too new, all Vulkan Video drivers still have a lot of bugs waiting to be fixed, and KHR is still not finished with AV1/VP9 decoding extensions.
      If you want to try Vulkan Video, there is an experimental FFmpeg branch and an mpv branch available​

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
        Most modern smartphones can shoot videos in H.265 but only if you enable it explicitly (by default it's still H.264).

On the web H.264/VP9 are kings. Netflix streams in H.265 for selected devices but I've never tested it.

I have more hopes for VVC.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post

Most modern smartphones can shoot videos in H.265 but only if you enable it explicitly (by default it's still H.264).

On the web H.264/VP9 are kings. Netflix streams in H.265 for selected devices but I've never tested it.

I have more hopes for VVC.
          AV1 got all the IHV, ISV, OSV's strong support, the popularity rate is still low, it is not difficult to imagine how the VVC will die a painful death without the existence of any hardware support so far

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post

AV1 got all the IHV, ISV, OSV's strong support, the popularity rate is still low, it is not difficult to imagine how the VVC will die a painful death without the existence of any hardware support so far
            AV1 is currently delegated only to some YouTube videos. I'm not sure about "strong" support and which companies you're talking about. And AV1 HW encoder is prohibitively expensive in terms of transistor count thus it's only supported by the lastest modern desktop/laptop class GPUs/iGPUs.
            Last edited by avis; 19 May 2023, 10:08 AM.

Comment

AV1 is currently delegated only to some YouTube videos. I'm not sure about "strong" support and which companies you're talking about. And AV1 HW encoder is prohibitively expensive in terms of transistor count thus it's only supported by only the lastest modern desktop/laptop class GPUs/iGPUs.
              Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/Qualcomm/MediaTek/Samsung/Rockchip's latest products all support AV1 hardware decoding, and Apple will also support AV1 hardware decoding in A17/M3.
              Windows/Android/iOS/macOS all support AV1.
              Chromium/Firefox/Safari all support AV1.
              All players fully support AV1 (HW/SW).
              It can be said that all hardware and software infrastructure already includes full AV1 support, but only Youtube uses it.​
              Last edited by edxposed; 19 May 2023, 11:06 AM.

Comment

I recently learned that my H265 videos, shot on my phone stored in my nextcloud, can't be played back on most desktops because most browsers don't/can't delegate the decoding to the underlying OS. As far as I could see recoding AV1 or anything else (besides the H264 and H265) is no option on the cellphone.
                Soo, anything that starts supporting the OS playback of H265 is very welcome IMHO - but I understand that the vulcan layer in between doesn't help (with regards to complexity).
                For some tests right now I have an AMD R570 and an very old Nvidia GTX Titan (1. Gen) in my arch/manjaro setup.

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post

Intel/AMD/NVIDIA/Qualcomm/MediaTek/Samsung/Rockchip products all support AV1 hardware decoding, and Apple will also support AV1 hardware decoding in A17/M3.
                  Windows/Android/iOS/macOS all support AV1.
                  Chromium/Firefox/Safari all support AV1.
                  All players fully support AV1 (HW/SW).
                  It can be said that all hardware and software infrastructure already includes full AV1 support, but only Youtube uses it.​
                  An amazing blanket statement. My 7 year old laptop can play AV1 1080p 60fps with frame drops, massive power consumption, frame drops and killing the battery fast in the process.

You seem to believe that if a device is able to decode something than this codec is "supported". This cannot be further from the truth.

Do you really think that Google (the only company in the world which has sort of employed AV1) streaming selected offline videos for selected devices in AV1 equals "strong" support?

Sorry, I'm not a fan of wishful thinking. Anyways, we've had this conversation before. I'm not going to go through all the arguments again. It's too long in the tooth.

AV1 is indeed widely adopted and supported. The codec for the future. This is a topic about fucking H.265. Let's stick to it. You may express your admiration for AV1 somewhere else, thank you.

Comment

AV1 is currently delegated only to some YouTube videos. I'm not sure about "strong" support and which companies you're talking about. And AV1 HW encoder is prohibitively expensive in terms of transistor count thus it's only supported by the lastest modern desktop/laptop class GPUs/iGPUs.
                    Most YouTube videos*

I watch YT every day and the majority of videos I watch from channels big and small and camera equipment pro or not pro is AV1.

Comment

Working...
                    X