Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NVIDIA R535 Linux Beta Brings New Vulkan Extensions, DMA-BUF v4 Wayland Protocol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA R535 Linux Beta Brings New Vulkan Extensions, DMA-BUF v4 Wayland Protocol

Phoronix: NVIDIA R535 Linux Beta Brings New Vulkan Extensions, DMA-BUF v4 Wayland Protocol

NVIDIA has a nice treat to end out May for Linux users by publishing their first beta build in the R535 feature series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This one is cool:

- Added power usage and power limits information to nvidia-settings PowerMizer page.
    Also this:

- Added support for the VK_KHR_video_queue, VK_KHR_video_decode_queue, VK_KHR_video_decode_h264 and VK_KHR_video_decode_h265 extensions.
    Vulkan decode was just added to ffmpeg, so if you compile ffmpeg-git, libplacebo-git and mpv-git, you can use it. Mesa also has support in the ANV and RADV drivers, so if you add mesa-git to the mix, you can do open source Vulkan decode.
    Last edited by Gusar; 30 May 2023, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Is there any benefit of supporting dmabuf V4?

Comment

nice work Nvidia, is there way to change GPU fan from Wayland

- Fixed a bug that prevented PRIME render offload from working for Wayland applications when running on a system with an AMD iGPU.
        - Fixed a bug that prevented PRIME render offload from working for Wayland applications when running on a system with an AMD iGPU.

finally

Comment

I hope the stable release will be soon available by both Nvidia and repository sources.

Comment

My game is too dark to be playable with Nvidia on wayland. They say Nvidia proprietary driver doesn't support required vulkan extension šŸ˜­šŸ˜­

Comment

Originally posted by luno View Post
              nice work Nvidia, is there way to change GPU fan from Wayland
              Last time I checked it was only controllable through some Xorg extensions that were used by GreenWithEnvy and some others. It has been long requested feature, as not only desktop users are missing it when running a Wayland session, but more importantly headless Linux machines that don't run any X11 session and use the GPUs for compute.
              See what's been posted on NVIDIA Developer forums: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...minal/72705/21 - that's example of using nvidia-xconfig, but the person who posted it connects to the machine over SSH, so they need to pass an extra argument to tell it which X xserver socket to use.

I wonder if it can now work normally with hardware cursor enabled, or will it eat up all the VRAM in few hours like it was doing before.

Also sadly
              The 535 driver will not have GAMMA_LUT support. Iā€™m unsure about 545.
              src: https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/...land/193590/69
              For Plasma users that's not a big deal for now, as the feature was implemented separately as some sort of shader or whatever just to work around the issue.

Comment

Nvidia has actually been useable with wayland for some time. But there is one blocker for me: My laptop has hdmi connected to the nvidia card, and the flat panel driven by intel integrated. I can use one or the other, either works fine - but I cannot use two screens at the same time. Is that being fixed?

Comment

Originally posted by Hafting View Post
                  Nvidia has actually been useable with wayland for some time. But there is one blocker for me: My laptop has hdmi connected to the nvidia card, and the flat panel driven by intel integrated. I can use one or the other, either works fine - but I cannot use two screens at the same time. Is that being fixed?
                  I have exactly the same setup for my laptop.
                  Although it has been a while since I've used the HDMI port with Linux, connecting the external screen while also using the internal screen worked, but it was slow and laggy.
                  I was using Fedora 35 or 36 with the default Gnome desktop on Wayland.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe I've read in a bug report on the Gnome-shell or mutter project page that the reason behind this was that Intel and Nvidia couldn't open or import each others EGL buffers or something.

I hope this is now fixed.

EDIT: Not with the previous driver it seems: https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/gnome.../-/issues/6221
                  Last edited by MastaG; 30 May 2023, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hafting View Post
                    Nvidia has actually been useable with wayland for some time. B
                    Not for me; I get hit with the 75hz primary display limit bug. It black screens you computer and puts it in a unrecoverable state (software wise)

Comment

Working...
                    X