No announcement yet.

System76's Coreboot Open Firmware Manages To Disable Intel ME For Raptor Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76's Coreboot Open Firmware Manages To Disable Intel ME For Raptor Lake

Phoronix: System76's Coreboot Open Firmware Manages To Disable Intel ME For Raptor Lake

Linux laptop/desktop vendor System76 has made some improvements to their Coreboot open firmware offerings to benefit their latest Intel Core 13th Gen "Raptor Lake" wares as well as prior generation devices...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I would be more interested to read a list of the ME features that this "open firmware" (System76's own words, but my quotes) has disabled. Then we would all know what is being done behind the scenes that is now being disabled for us. It would allow consumers to make an informed decision: System76 "open firmware" or Intel "closed firmware".

After all, isn't transparency supposed to be a good thing ?

Care to step up to this System76 ?

Comment

Originally posted by NotMine999 View Post
      I would be more interested to read a list of the ME features that this "open firmware" (System76's own words, but my quotes) has disabled. Then we would all know what is being done behind the scenes that is now being disabled for us. It would allow consumers to make an informed decision: System76 "open firmware" or Intel "closed firmware".

You can find the source code here:

System76 Open Firmware. Contribute to system76/firmware-open development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

- https://github.com/system76/firmware...ter/LICENSE.md
        - https://github.com/system76/ec/blob/master/LICENSE

The git repositories and every commit pushed to them are publicly hosted on GitHub for all to see.
        Some companies even fork System76 open firmware for their systems: https://source.puri.sm/firmware/librem-ec#system76-ec
        I'm wondering why you think System76 firmware is not transparent or open. There isn't a conspiracy to deceive.
        Last edited by mmstick; 02 June 2023, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Awesome!!! I love these folks. They think about computing the way that I think about computing in a lot of cases.

Comment

Could just not even use Intel like anyone with any self-respect.

Comment

obviously not interested enough to actually look into it

Comment

That System76 can disable Intel ME is a dubious claim. The most they can do is set the HAP bit, and remove parts of the ME firmware.
                OEMs cannot disable Intel ME, only Intel can.

Comment

Originally posted by Ironmask View Post
                  Could just not even use Intel like anyone with any self-respect.
                  AMD do basically nothing to support coreboot and have a system exactly like Intel ME. Go use them if you want.

Comment

AMD is no better.

Comment

Working...
                    X