No announcement yet.

Firefox 114 Available With WebTransport Enabled, Continued DNS Over HTTPS Work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 114 Available With WebTransport Enabled, Continued DNS Over HTTPS Work

Phoronix: Firefox 114 Available With WebTransport Enabled, Continued DNS Over HTTPS Work

Following last week's release of Chrome 114, Mozilla developers today uploaded the release binaries for Firefox 114 ahead of tomorrow's official announcement...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the first Linux distribution has already updated it! https://t2sde.org/packages/firefox

Comment

Hopefully soon we will be defaulting to Encryted Client Hellos independent of the dns resolver method.
      I still resolve my dnssec validated records on my own network but don't want the SNI to be visible outside of my premises.
      DANE-TLSA would still be valuable on top of it, but i lost hope in Mozilla and the Internet as a whole here.

Comment

Originally posted by bemerk View Post
        Hopefully soon we will be defaulting to Encryted Client Hellos independent of the dns resolver method.
        How would that work technically? I assume Encrypted Client Hello needs to get the encryption key from somewhere, and that can't be done over plain DNS since that would defeat the point (server name is still visible in the DNS query, so hiding SNI is pointless).

Comment

> Web Workers can finally load ECMAscript modules
          nice
          I am waiting for WebGPU support without flags (maybe JPEG-XL too), I find Firefox pretty good when researching something as it can handle multiple tabs pretty efficiently. Chrome and Chromium family always crash with multiple tabs

Comment

Originally posted by archkde View Post

How would that work technically? I assume Encrypted Client Hello needs to get the encryption key from somewhere, and that can't be done over plain DNS since that would defeat the point (server name is still visible in the DNS query, so hiding SNI is pointless).
            https://blog.cloudflare.com/encrypted-client-hello/ describes this.

If my border router does the resolution of dns queries itself , a pi-hole for example or some other internet router, via a privacy preserving way, dot,doh, doq, dns-over-tor, whatever while still providing dns53 cleartext to the devices in my network , firefox will right now refuse to use ECH. It thinks the encryption is worthless, but it might not be as the traffic is still secured against noosy people on the network past my cpe.

Comment

especially if you've used WebSockets already to much joy
              Can't remember the joy part. As useful as WebSockets may be, load balancers don't know what to do with them. Except reset/close them from time to time.

Comment

WebTransport looks very promising.
                Can't wait for this to replace WebSockets.

Comment

Forced to use Google Meet, I'm just hoping for better performance and those fancy background features to work.
                  Someday...

(Edit) forgive me, too much negativity!
                  Anyway, congratulations for the new release and continued efforts.

And yes, I know, Google products on a "competitor's browser".
                  Last edited by euduvda; 05 June 2023, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Why repository in Ubuntu propose an mt version one week earlier? Has Firefox provided by flatpak some issue of compatibility?

Comment

Working...
                    X