No announcement yet.

Qt Getting In On Generative AI, Starts By Adding GitHub Copilot To Qt Creator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qt Getting In On Generative AI, Starts By Adding GitHub Copilot To Qt Creator

Phoronix: Qt Getting In On Generative AI, Starts By Adding GitHub Copilot To Qt Creator

Given all the hype recently around generative AI, the Qt Group has begun exploring ways of incorporating generative AI into Qt...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

as if I needed any more reason to avoid QT

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
      Well, if they don't implement it, people will complain for missing support... As long as this option can be disabled, I'm fine with it

Comment

Perhaps they can use AI to fix their plethora of workflow breaking QML bugs?
        Then again, if AI has any smarts, it probably rewrites all of it

Comment

Originally posted by markg85 View Post
          Perhaps they can use AI to fix their plethora of workflow breaking QML bugs?
          Then again, if AI has any smarts, it probably rewrites all of it
          You joke sarcastically, but ironically if the AI gets fed the current code of QT, it might continue to give such code which perpetuate the problem on a faster scale (crashing and burning faster than before).

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
            It's Qt. And there is hardly any more need for even more reasons to avoid it. Nor any that make it a night or day choice, as there isn't much in the field.

As for that particular gimmick - it can likely be turned off from the plugin settings, I turn off like 90% of what it comes with already, and it works way better.

But I am sure many people will be happy to take the assist and feed it back mediocrity to regurgitate.

Let's face it - the bulk of software developers are people hopelessly stuck doing a tiny spec of corporate bidding, conditioned into doing something so limited in scope that the developer may well be useless in any other development context.

All of that is GOING AWAY. Quantity over quality... and brute-force CPU cycles can do it cheaper, faster and most likely - a tad better. I mean it barely requires any sentience to do already.​

I hear they fed Qt's code base to the AI to fix all that mess, and the AI de-programmed itself in the public console.
            Last edited by ddriver; 06 June 2023, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Qt Getting In On Generative AI
              Starts wondering what Qt has to do with training LLMs...

Starts By Adding GitHub Copilot To Qt Creator
              Realizes Qt isn't "getting in" on generative AI, it's just incorporating other people's tool in their IDE.
              Quite the twist.
              Last edited by bug77; 06 June 2023, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Qt sucks. Qt sucks Microsoft. It's a win-win synergy.

Qt will dominate the world. It will provide a homogeneous, coherent, iterative and holistic experience.

Why most toolkits are total crap? Are there one usable for modern standards that doesn't suck?

Comment

Ah, yes, Qt.

I remember QML being hailed as the Next Big Thing. And then I started to try using it and build a UI with it. What an unholy mess. Want to display a table? Good luck. And no, it wasn't Qt 5.0: I only started using Quick/QML with Qt 5.10. I still wonder how anyone in their right mind uses this abomination out of free will. It must be some kind of Stockholm Syndrome.

The classic Qt widget stuff, for all its faults, is still much easier and saner to use.

Comment

QML has a few I dare say revolutionary aspects, but the whole thing is so "legacy" executed, it almost completely defeats the purpose.

They tried to create something new, but their hardcore legacy approach to implementing it didn't let it quite bounce into the "revolutionary" category.

Never quite learned how to balance between catching up to the latest fad and innovating,

QML should have been its own thing, it should have been 100% natively interoperable with C++, instead they went for the mediocrity that is V8, which turned out too slow for small expressions, so they had to supplement it with their own V4, which they now have a convoluted way to convert "back" to a 10 times more C++ code than it takes to write the damn thing, and now they have to re-implement almost the entire qtquick engine halfway through version 6 in hopes to make the while mess a tad more efficient.

Great vision!

Comment

Working...
                    X