Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wine 8.10 Released With Mouse Cursor Clipping Improvements

Phoronix: Wine 8.10 Released With Mouse Cursor Clipping Improvements

Wine 8.10 is out this weekend as the newest version of this open-source software allowing Windows applications and games to run gracefully on Linux, Chrome OS, macOS, and other platforms...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

This wine version come with some interesting things like this:

ntdll: Use the full 4Gb for large address aware applications on Wow64.

and more work to wmv and wma decoder, when this wine stay avalaible add more data (i hope appear deb package in some place on this weekend)

Last edited by pinguinpc; 10 June 2023, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Since Apple and their $2,850,000,000,000 valuation is using it and bragging about how that will help enlarge their catalogue, I hope they are contributing heavily to the funding and dev of wine now...

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
        Since Apple and their $2,850,000,000,000 valuation is using it and bragging about how that will help enlarge their catalogue, I hope they are contributing heavily to the funding and dev of wine now...
        them must be help wine like your said but if exist more greedy/non-opensource company than nvidia, this is apple

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          Nah, most likely the only thing Apple is funding is the internal DX12-to-Metal translator.

Which is able to produce a whopping 13 FPS on the rasterized version of Cyberpunk 2077:

Meanwhile, Linux users are able to get more than double the performance on the fully path-traced version of the same game:

Apple worshippers must be feeling really proud about that...

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxxx View Post

Apple worshippers must be feeling really proud about that...
            But does it run on arm🤨🤨

I hope apple just focus on porting productivity software. That way wine will be perfect: valve handles games, apple handles the rest

Comment

Originally posted by mirmirmir View Post
              But does it run on arm🤨🤨

I hope apple just focus on porting productivity software. That way wine will be perfect: valve handles games, apple handles the rest
              https://asahilinux.org/ does

Comment

But does it run on arm🤨🤨

I hope they first rewrite it rust

Comment

I don't think so, that they will do it.
                  It is like it was with Linux before Valve, but more extreme: Productivity software exists enough, what is missing are games.
                  Macs are used for graphic design, printing, video editing, music, ... etc.
                  And the normal things, (nearly) all modern operating systems are good in: browsing in the web, writing a letter, using a spreadsheet, ... etc.

But gamers don't using a Mac, because games are not running as much and good as on Windows.
                  Then there existing also the problem, if someone want a computer for Video-editing (Macs and Windows-PCs are goog in it), Music editing (Macs and and Windows-PCs are goog in it) and playing the other half of the time games (only Windows-PCs are good in it).
                  In this case people will buy a PC, even then the Video- and Music editing software on a Mac is slightly better.

For that Apple creates the game-porting-toolkit, which makes use of WINE-lib to port easily Windows games to the Mac.

And yes, Linux have now other goals. With Valves Proton most Windows games are running good enough on Linux. And Valve still improving it and maximizing the number of games running on Linux. For Linux now are missing more normal programs like an actual Microsoft Office (for Mac Microsoft creates itself a port of it), Visual Studio (for Mac existing a Visual Studio for Mac) , etc.
                  But this is something which is missing on Linux, not on Mac.
                  For Mac are games missing. And so they try to change that.

Comment

Originally posted by pinguinpc View Post

them must be help wine like your said but if exist more greedy/non-opensource company than nvidia, this is apple

Comment

Working...
                    X