Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6 X11 Session "Barely Buggier" Than Plasma 5 On X11

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6 X11 Session "Barely Buggier" Than Plasma 5 On X11

Prominent KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his latest weekly development summary to highlight all of the work on Plasma 5 fixes and then the ongoing feature work in the march toward Plasma 6.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_6

" Bring SDDM into KDE. See https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...op/-/issues/91 " - whoa, took them a decade to remember that KDE doesn't have its own DM.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
      From https://community.kde.org/Plasma/Plasma_6

" Bring SDDM into KDE. See https://invent.kde.org/plasma/plasma...op/-/issues/91 " - whoa, took them a decade to remember that KDE doesn't have its own DM.
      I still have no idea why they got rid of KDM with the release of Plasma 5 in 2014. I was using one of the last KDE 4 versions on Kubuntu 14.04 around 2014-15 and remember how KDM was working flawlessly. It had a smoother transition from login screen to desktop than SDDM ever had, even compared to current versions.

Comment

wait what?!

Comment

Originally posted by user1 View Post

I still have no idea why they got rid of KDM with the release of Plasma 5 in 2014. I was using one of the last KDE 4 versions on Kubuntu 14.04 around 2014-15 and remember how KDM was working flawlessly. It had a smoother transition from login screen to desktop than SDDM ever had, even compared to current versions.
          Grand speculation here, but it could be the same situation about the X11 vs Wayland discussion where some end-users want X11 because it works for them but in reality the developers find X11 a tiring and annoying to code or develop in.

Comment

I thought it was physically impossible to create anything buggier then Plasma, yet they somehow managed to make it even buggier. KDE just manages to impress again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post

Grand speculation here, but it could be the same situation about the X11 vs Wayland discussion where some end-users want X11 because it works for them but in reality the developers find X11 a tiring and annoying to code or develop in.
              Maybe it was potentially easier to add Wayland support for SDDM, but considering the fact that it got Wayland support fairly recently, I really don't think that was the reason for dropping KDM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexmitter View Post
                I thought it was physically impossible to create anything buggier then Plasma, yet they somehow managed to make it even buggier. KDE just manages to impress again.
                I'm starting to think they are very limited by the Qt toolkit. I remember a few years ago watching a conference where some KDE dev was talking about how a major Qt version upgrade has regressed their Wayland progress by a whopping few months. I guess this might be the reason for the current Wayland regressions in Plasma 6.

Comment

Would really like to have a slim DM that by default doesn't start the xserver and lets the DE session run xwayland as rootless. Until then, it's bare tty...

Comment

SDDM from Git allows that - was using it last time I tested Plasma 5 Wayland. Still had to switch back due to bugs and inconsistencies

​​​​​​I feel less bad about it now considering the Devs do the same

Comment

Working...
                    X