Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 13 "Trixie" Aiming To Ship With RISC-V 64-Bit Support

Phoronix: Debian 13 "Trixie" Aiming To Ship With RISC-V 64-Bit Support

With today's release of Debian 12 the official ports are for AMD64, AArch64, ARMEL, ARMHF, i386, MIPS, 64-bit MIPS, POWER, and IBM System Z. There isn't RISC-V 64-bit as an official port but that is likely to change for Debian 13...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hopefully RISC-V will have hardware that's moved beyond rough technology preview and developer board stages by the time Trixie releases.

Comment

I'm surprised Debian is this far behind.

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post
        Hopefully RISC-V will have hardware that's moved beyond rough technology preview and developer board stages by the time Trixie releases.
        Ever since the VisionFive 2 SBC shipped in late January, everything has moved very fast on the software side.

Upstream support for that SoC is happening fairly quickly too: https://rvspace.org/en/project/JH7110_Upstream_Plan

Comment

Debian has a monstrously large number of packages and they actually test them for compatibility and Stability. Congratulations Team, Bookworm is an excellent release. Can't wait to switch to Trixie. Exciting changes coming to Linux in 2023/2024.

Comment

Originally posted by ayumu View Post

Ever since the VisionFive 2 SBC shipped in late January, everything has moved very fast on the software side.

Upstream support for that SoC is happening fairly quickly too: https://rvspace.org/en/project/JH7110_Upstream_Plan
            I get what you're saying, but that's still a hobby/developer board same as the Pis. Yes Pis are wildly popular, but they're popular for quick deployment of one off projects or ARM prototypes. For RISC-V to succeed in the general market it needs a complete system not targeted at developers or hobbiests. It needs a phone, tablet, server, general purpose (desktop-like) system, or a general shift of IoT set-top box OEMs from ARM to RISC-V. The linked boards are only one step along that path to make software available should OEMs begin making such a shift.

Comment

there are a couple SBC's im interested in, but until there is enablement work being done in mesa I'll hold off, I know that PVR is no where near usable (10 extensions as of today) but I want to know that the device will be supported eventually

Comment

Guess that explains why T2 Linux has so many new users ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4-_a_3BKg

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                  there are a couple SBC's im interested in, but until there is enablement work being done in mesa I'll hold off, I know that PVR is no where near usable (10 extensions as of today) but I want to know that the device will be supported eventually
                  Yeah, better off to just wait and see rather than buy a board that never sees full support cuz devs lose interest in it when the next iteration hits GA. I've had that happen to me twice in the mobile space. Once with a 2003 model tablet (the old stylus type) with Angstrom Linux, and again with a smartphone that was never fully supported because no one addressed bugs in the cryptographic hardware drivers (and probably couldn't) in Lineage. That's when I figured out Android as an open source initiative was always going to be more potential rather than reality (yes I know, blame Qualcomm and MediaTek and I do, but i also blame Google).

Comment

Originally posted by stormcrow View Post

Yeah, better off to just wait and see rather than buy a board that never sees full support cuz devs lose interest in it when the next iteration hits GA. I've had that happen to me twice in the mobile space. Once with a 2003 model tablet (the old stylus type) with Angstrom Linux, and again with a smartphone that was never fully supported because no one addressed bugs in the cryptographic hardware drivers (and probably couldn't) in Lineage. That's when I figured out Android as an open source initiative was always going to be more potential rather than reality (yes I know, blame Qualcomm and MediaTek and I do, but i also blame Google).
                    once I see enablement in mesa that would be good enough for me, PVR is pretty much the face of risc-v gpus so it will be quite popular so I have no doubt the PVR driver will mature, that being said, a mature driver certainly doesn't mean all encompassing

Comment

Working...
                    X