Linux 6.5 To Enable Rumble Support For Newer Microsoft Xbox Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux 6.5 To Enable Rumble Support For Newer Microsoft Xbox Controllers

Phoronix: Linux 6.5 To Enable Rumble Support For Newer Microsoft Xbox Controllers

For Linux gamers relying on Microsoft Xbox controllers, the upcoming Linux 6.5 kernel will enable rumble support for several newer controller models...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Does this mean that with kernel 6.5 we will no longer need the xpadneo driver?

Comment

I wish they support the official MS dongle for it, but looks like it needs a proprietary firmware to work, so I guess it is a pipe dream.

In case anyone needs a Bluetooth dongle for those Xbox, or any other Bluetooth controller, I can recommend the RTL8761B chipset. It was recently added to the Linux kernel and must work on distros from 2022 and forward. You can find it on the Orico BTA-508 dongle, for example.

The older Bluetooth dongles based on the Cambridge Silicon chipset (very popular years ago), are very buggy with Xbox controllers. This newer Realtek work much better in my experience.

Comment

Any idea how quickly this would be added to SteamOS and hence HoloISO?

Comment

Fun little story, I ended up playing games a lot using Linux because it didn't support rumble.

See, it turns out, if you have about 4 or more controllers connected to USB ports that share the same header, the rumble of the controllers drew too much current, causing random disconnects and re-assignment of controller numbers 1,2,3,4.

Took me a while to figure out what was going on and why it worked good in Linux but not Windows.

To make it even better, later, the game was updated and the devs removed the ability to have more than 4 controllers in the Windows version. The Linux version could still support up to 8.

Comment

Originally posted by trinukso View Post
            Just tested 6.3.7 + patch without xpadneo. It rumbles, on bluetooth, as expected. So yes :-)

Comment

You never need xpadneo driver to get rumble work.

Wine implemented rumble with RAW HID interface. xpadneo also implemented it in the same way, just in kernel space.
              With kernel 6.5, you can get rumble support through evdev interface but no trigger rumble.

If you use a dongle, go xone driver. (GIP protocol)

Currently trigger rumble feature only available with bluetooth connection and RAW HID interface (/dev/hidrawX)

Comment

I haven't needed xpadneo for a good 1,5+ years now. But I mostly play on Steam so their input layer might have something to do with that. Actually,right now I use xov.

Comment

Working...
                X