Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking The OpenCL Support Status With Mesa Drivers

Phoronix: Tracking The OpenCL Support Status With Mesa Drivers

The convenient Mesa Matrix tracker that has long shown Vulkan and OpenGL versions and extensions supported by the different open-source drivers has also now begun reporting OpenCL support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Really great to see OpenCL added to mesamatrix. Kind of sad to see how far behind the support is.

Comment

Can someone smarter than me submit a pull request? Or at least point me towards the relevant source? Off the top of my head I notice:

There is a total of 207 extensions to implement. The ranking is based on the number of extensions done by driver.
      Which should be:

There are a total of 207 extensions to implement. The ranking is based on the number of extensions implemented for each driver.
      "are" is because 2+ numbers are plural so they use are. "done by driver" implies that the driver implemented the extensions. That 2nd one could even be "currently implemented for each driver" to make

Those changes apply to every single driver on the page.

Comment

Nice to see that we're actually getting OpenCL 2.0 implemented in rusticl.
        ## VGA ##
        AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
        Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
          Can someone smarter than me submit a pull request? Or at least point me towards the relevant source? Off the top of my head I notice:

Which should be:

"are" is because 2+ numbers are plural so they use are. "done by driver" implies that the driver implemented the extensions. That 2nd one could even be "currently implemented for each driver" to make

probably here https://github.com/MightyCreak/mesam...oller.php#L509

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            Really great to see OpenCL added to mesamatrix. Kind of sad to see how far behind the support is.
            The support is not as far off as they appear. OpenCL has a TON of extensions many of them kinda just do nothing important. (utility functions, minor optimizations, additional query info, etc) If you actually went to the site and expanded the driver details you would see that most of the core features are implemented. There are currently some mistakes/issues with the info reported so take it with a grain of salt.

That said there is a couple of things that are not supported but are used by a lot of sycl prorgrams unfotantely. That is something that is more of a priority right now

edit the corrections have been merged: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/...requests/23622 the main thing is panfrost hasn't been tested in a while so there may be some regressions
            Last edited by blackcat; 13 June 2023, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Hope support for Triton will be worked on which is the backend of PyTorch 2.0.

Comment

Which should be:

The total itself is singular, so "is" is appropriate.
                If they said "There is 207 extensions to implement", then you would be right, and they would be wrong.
                But here, it is not the case.

Comment

Which should be:

That 2nd one could even be "currently implemented for each driver" to make
                  The fragment: 'extensions done by driver' sounds like incorrect grammar. I didn't read it that way, though. It might have been more clear if there was a comma included: 'total number of extensions done, by driver', which is how I understood it.

Although they weren't his words in this case, I have seen that there have been many instances over some years where Michael would write a sentence in one way, and there were other were other ways to write it, and people would argue, but actually all of the variations were correct. A result of the English language having divers sources, maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by aviallon View Post

The total itself is singular, so "is" is appropriate.
                    If they said "There is 207 extensions to implement", then you would be right, and they would be wrong.
                    But here, it is not the case.
                    There is a total of 207 extensions.
                    There are a total of 207 extensions.

This is one of those cases where we can both be right. It can vary on how the sentence is understood or what is considered the subject and verb. If you consider the "207 extensions" as the subject and "implement" as the verb, then "are" is correct due to the plural "extensions". If you consider "total" as the subject and "implement" as the verb, then "is" is correct due to the singular "total".

That said, "is" becomes incorrect regardless of the subject-verb agreement if you follow the "unwritten pronoun" rules. When you follow those rules, an "unwritten "You" is the pronoun, "total" is the subject, "are" is the verb, and 207 and extensions are both adjectives. "Are" is the verb because that's what follows the word "You".

You, there are a total of 207 extensions.

Since most people don't speak like a condescending prick, we drop the you when speaking.

Comment

Working...
                    X