Oracle's GraalVM Native Image Now Defaults To x86-64-v3, IGV Open-Sourced

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oracle's GraalVM Native Image Now Defaults To x86-64-v3, IGV Open-Sourced

Phoronix: Oracle's GraalVM Native Image Now Defaults To x86-64-v3, IGV Open-Sourced

Oracle has published the latest community edition releases of GraalVM targeting JDK17 and JDK20. GraalVM also continues to support a variety of other languages beyond Java as well...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

GraalVM continues on as a high performance Java JVM/JDK...
    I keep reading this, but is it actually known to win any benchmarks?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I keep reading this, but is it actually known to win any benchmarks?
      Twitter is a notable user, that saw some speed increases, it's been about 2 years since I have looked into anything related to Graal, the majority of performance wins came from stacks that have a programming model similar to Scala. (Lots of Object creation, not sure if the immutable aspect's also helped)

GraalVM is an advanced JDK with ahead-of-time Native Image compilation.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonjolt View Post

Twitter is a notable user, that saw some speed increases, it's been about 2 years since I have looked into anything related to Graal, the majority of performance wins came from stacks that have a programming model similar to Scala. (Lots of Object creation, not sure if the immutable aspect's also helped)

https://www.graalvm.org/use-cases/
        For "some" speed increases, you tune the GC, you don't need GraalVM. I'm still looking for evident GraalVM is "high-performance". As in, faster than some other implementations.

Edit: Funny enough, some of the testimonials in that link aren't even about GraalVM, they're about native image. Native image has been spun out of GraalVM long ago, it's now an optional component.

Comment

Native image has been spun out of GraalVM long ago, it's now an optional component.
          Looks to me like native-image is core ( other than having to gu install​ it), and native-image-llvm is an optional component.

The GraalVM environment can be extended with optionally available components such as JavaScript runtime (GraalJS), Node.js, Ruby, Python, WebAssembly, LLVM runtime, LLVM Toolchain, Java on truffle...

Last edited by elatllat; 15 June 2023, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
            Looks to me like native-image is core ( other than having to gu install​ it), and native-image-llvm is an optional component.
            Well. if you have to install it yourself, then it's not "core".

Mind you, it's dead-simple to install. But it's not installed by default because Oracle doesn't deem it production ready. Yet they tout the speed and low memory footprint of native images every chance they have. The gains are a reality, but without the go-ahead from Oracle, how do I dare put that in prod?

My point stands though: what makes GraalVM "high-performance"? Because if you go through native-image, you have an executable, no Graal (or other kind of) VM involved anymore.

Comment

...Oracle doesn't deem it production ready....
              They seem to in some docs;

Originally posted by oracle
              Native Image is available as an Early Adopter feature. Early adopter features are considered production-ready, but are subject to ongoing development, testing, and modification.​

Comment

I refuse to touch it in any way until they provide proper DEBs and RPMs.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
                  I refuse to touch it in any way until they provide proper DEBs and RPMs.
                  Why? What advantage do you get by involving yet another packager in the process?

Comment

Working...
                  X