It's Recommended To Avoid Using The Open-Source NVIDIA Driver On Linux 6.3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Recommended To Avoid Using The Open-Source NVIDIA Driver On Linux 6.3

Phoronix: It's Recommended To Avoid Using The Open-Source NVIDIA Driver On Linux 6.3

It's recommended to avoid using the open-source NVIDIA "Nouveau" graphics driver on the current stable Linux 6.3 series as there is a serious bug present that could cause varying issues to your system...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I thought it was recommended to avoid using Nouveau regardless, as the performance is so poor?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
      I thought it was recommended to avoid using Nouveau regardless, as the performance is so poor?
      I would say the problem here is live session and graphical install. It would be not very pleasant when installer writes broken files due to memory corruption. Anyways recommendation to not use nvidia if you can still stands.

Comment

Easily mitigated by simply using hardware from a vendor who isn't a decade behind when it comes to open-source platforms.

Comment

I installed Ubuntu 23.04 last week for a DIY arcade machine on an HP workstation with i7 4th gen and an old Quadro. The new Flutter-based installer kept crashing, so I ran it in terminal and there was a nouveau error.. I removed the quadro and it worked with the Intel graphics. works great with MAME too, so novideo isn't going back in.

Comment

TIL Karol Herbst is both the nouveau dev AND the rusticl dev? What more does this insanely busy human-critter work on!?

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
              Easily mitigated by simply using hardware from a vendor who isn't a decade behind when it comes to open-source platforms.
              Oh right - so no modern wifi whatsoever I guess then? Ethernet all the way?

[note to self - invest in companies that manufacture 100 foot (and longer, much much longer) ethernet cables]
              Last edited by andyprough; 14 June 2023, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikr1848 View Post
                TIL Karol Herbst is both the nouveau dev AND the rusticl dev? What more does this insanely busy human-critter work on!?
                radeonsi too

Comment

There is a use-after-free issue within the Nouveau DRM kernel driver and it can cause corruption of kernel memory. Use-after-free issues are also a potential security vulnerability but it's possible this corrupted kernel memory could lead to file-system corruption or other system issues.
                  Damn, if only there was a systems language that prevented that sort of issue at compile-time.

Comment

It's Recommended To Avoid Using The Open-Source NVIDIA Driver On Linux 6.3
                    Something is not quite right about that headline....

It's Recommended To Avoid Using NVIDIA
                    That's much better.

Ironmask

I bet that systems language is Jython.

Comment

Working...
                    X