Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76's COSMIC Desktop Enhancing Its Auto-Tiling

Phoronix: System76's COSMIC Desktop Enhancing Its Auto-Tiling

As part of Linux hardware vendor System76's ongoing work around their COSMIC desktop for their Pop!_OS Linux distribution, recently their development team has been working on enhancing the automatic window tiling capabilities...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

being able to swap between tiling and normal usage is one of the best features easily that im looking forwards to

Comment

The current implementation of cosmic-comp already supports per-workspace tiling, so you can have floating windows on a floating workspace and tiled windows on tiled workspaces.

Comment

Can’t wait for a release. It looks very promising.
        I hope S76 will be top notch at pixel perfection and workflows refinements.
        I also pray for a lot of CONSISTENCY, thing that opensource doesn’t do well enough in general.

Comment

I haven't used this, and i3/Sway was just too much of a PITA to customize and learn, but I do have times when I wish I could use a tiling WM that had all the features of GNOME. Perhaps GNOME can learn from this and have a tiling mode. I know there's a lot of hate for GNOME, but it seems to have the most comprehensive set of underlying services for daily-driving with Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by mangeek View Post
            I haven't used this, and i3/Sway was just too much of a PITA to customize and learn, but I do have times when I wish I could use a tiling WM that had all the features of GNOME. Perhaps GNOME can learn from this and have a tiling mode. I know there's a lot of hate for GNOME, but it seems to have the most comprehensive set of underlying services for daily-driving with Wayland.
            Well, actually, I find Plasma to work much better and much more consistently with Wayland, compared to Gnome.
            With Gnome, I can't play Proton games correctly when using the Wayland session, whereas I don't have any issue when using Plasma on Wayland.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
              Can’t wait for a release. It looks very promising.
              I hope S76 will be top notch at pixel perfection and workflows refinements.
              I also pray for a lot of CONSISTENCY, thing that opensource doesn’t do well enough in general.
              The inconsistency of Windows settings drives me nuts at work

Comment

Originally posted by slalomsk8er View Post

The inconsistency of Windows settings drives me nuts at work
                I haven't touched Windows in over 10 years. Does it still have the dreadful Registry?

Comment

If only they added workspace grid I would be switching to COSMIC right away.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post

I haven't touched Windows in over 10 years. Does it still have the dreadful Registry?
                    Yes and the mmc, the Control Panel and new settings apps that look like phone/tablet apps. But it got usable as they provide PowerToys and finally a usable terminal app and also a Linux kernel in WSL2. But I still prefer to connect to my Debian workstation to get stuff done.
                    Last edited by slalomsk8er; 16 June 2023, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X