Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NsCDE 2.3 Released For Modern Desktop Looking Like The Old CDE

Phoronix: NsCDE 2.3 Released For Modern Desktop Looking Like The Old CDE

A new version of the "Not so Common Desktop Environment" is now available, a modern Linux desktop that continues to mimic the look and feel of the old CDE Unix desktop environment...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Fond memories <3

Comment

To really feel like the 90's, they should offer a 3D file manager.

Yes I know this isn't Irix.

Comment

I'm one of the few people that use it! It's my main desktop environment on a Debian 11 vm with gpu passthrough and output on a crt screen. It's for using emulators like 86box and UAE...

Comment

This uses the old insecure legacy X Window System (X11), it doesn't use the modern secure Wayland display server.

Comment

Olvwm (for youngers - SUN)

Comment

I hated so much CDE when I had to use it on Sun workstations (back in the days), now I could install it on my laptop and refresh my hatred :-)

At least, I hope that nowadays you don't have to reboot the workstation after inserting an audio cd (there was a bug in the cd player application that prevented ejecting the cd after playing. You had to either be admin to force eject the cd or to reboot the computer. After that kind of user experience, imagine how to was to try convincing colleagues that Solaris was a rock solid OS... )

Comment

Originally posted by bavay View Post
                I hated so much CDE when I had to use it on Sun workstations (back in the days), now I could install it on my laptop and refresh my hatred :-)

At least, I hope that nowadays you don't have to reboot the workstation after inserting an audio cd (there was a bug in the cd player application that prevented ejecting the cd after playing. You had to either be admin to force eject the cd or to reboot the computer. After that kind of user experience, imagine how to was to try convincing colleagues that Solaris was a rock solid OS... )
                Wrong UI... (see above)

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  This uses the old insecure legacy X Window System (X11), it doesn't use the modern secure Wayland display server.
                  yes this uses the rock-solid and full-featured X Window System (X11), it doesn't use the give-it-a-try and still-unfinished Wayland display server

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
                    To really feel like the 90's, they should offer a 3D file manager.

Yes I know this isn't Irix.
                    fsv is a file system visualizer in cyberspace. It lays out files and directories in three dimensions, geometrically representing the file system hierarchy to allow visual overview and analysis. - j...

Comment

Working...
                    X