Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 116 Should Have Experimental PipeWire Camera Support

Phoronix: Firefox 116 Should Have Experimental PipeWire Camera Support

Mozilla's Firefox 116 web-browser should have experimental PipeWire camera capturing support available for Linux users...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

When pipewire is set to be default on the main Linux OSes?

Comment

Will Mozilla do a tease with this experimental feature, like with jpeg-xl, only to yank it back away from the users again?

Comment

the best part about pipewire video stuff is being able to avoid using v4l2loopback.

EDIT: I really hope they make a tool for controlling camera at a pipewire level (gain zoom etc), it's a massive pain right now

Comment

Originally posted by MorrisS. View Post
          I think Fedora is pipewire and it works for me very well.

Comment

Define what's main Linux OSes. Steam deck I believe use pipewire, Ubuntu as well, Fedora as mentioned above, Arch(?) Pipewire is here

Comment

Pretty sure it's already the default in Fedora, Ubuntu, Pop, RHEL 9 and the latest Debian with GNOME.

Edit: And Tumbleweed!
              Last edited by Vermilion; 17 June 2023, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                the best part about pipewire video stuff is being able to avoid using v4l2loopback.

EDIT: I really hope they make a tool for controlling camera at a pipewire level (gain zoom etc), it's a massive pain right now
                I'm curious: why would avoiding v4l2loopback be a good thing?

Comment

Originally posted by klapaucius View Post

I'm curious: why would avoiding v4l2loopback be a good thing?
                  v4l2loopback is a kernel driver, this poses both potential security and convince issues. for security this is probably of very minor concern but in general if you don't need it to be in the kernel, it probably shouldn't be. as for convince there are a couple bullet points
                  • needing to modprobe the driver (a hassle, even more so if you upgraded kernels)
                  • support, while v4l2loopback works fine in general, it is a dkms in the majority of distros, which can present a small bag of worms
                  • pipewire video is a lot more unified with things like pixel format, this can hopefully avoid some odd issues that can pop up when using video sharing
                  • multiple sink/source, with v4l2loopback you need new "devices" for every sink/source with pipewire you don't need to worry about that
                  there are a couple of other features but none of the top of my head.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

v4l2loopback is a kernel driver, this poses both potential security and convince issues. for security this is probably of very minor concern but in general if you don't need it to be in the kernel, it probably shouldn't be.
                    Are there some filter applications for pipewire video? How does it work?

Comment

Working...
                    X