Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVK Vulkan Driver Working Toward YCbCr Support This Summer

Phoronix: NVK Vulkan Driver Working Toward YCbCr Support This Summer

NVK as the open-source Mesa Vulkan driver being developed for NVIDIA graphics hardware will hopefully see YCbCr format support this summer...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is good to see progress on NVK.
    I look forward to see the impact on the nvidia usage/reputation in Linux distributions when we have an upstream NVK/NAK/zink on top of a kernel driver that can adjust the frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by sravn View Post
      It is good to see progress on NVK.
      I look forward to see the impact on the nvidia usage/reputation in Linux distributions when we have an upstream NVK/NAK/zink on top of a kernel driver that can adjust the frequency.
      I doubt that it will become somewhat popular. Nvidia doesn't upstream in kernel, has no open userspace drivers, and no third party really interested in financing and developing nvk. Intel develops kernel and mesa drivers and it's still messy.

Comment

Originally posted by RejectModernity View Post

I doubt that it will become somewhat popular. Nvidia doesn't upstream in kernel, has no open userspace drivers, and no third party really interested in financing and developing nvk. Intel develops kernel and mesa drivers and it's still messy.
        If it's the only way to get proper Wayland desktop support on NVidia hardware, there will be at least some audience for it. Even if it's just the ones that don't care so much about getting great hardware performance, but need their existing hardware to work for basic desktop use.

Comment

Open Source Nvidia driver needs to be merged upstream ASAP. Why so slow for a Merge Request? Without that, efforts like this will take forever.

Comment

Working...
          X