Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE's KWin Begins Plotting Path To Vulkan Support

Phoronix: KDE's KWin Begins Plotting Path To Vulkan Support

Going back a few years there has been experimental development around a Vulkan back-end for KDE's KWin compositor while now a road-map is being formalized for actually bringing Vulkan support to fruition...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I feel like Zink doesn't really need competition but more support, but what do I know. Regardless, The Vulkan API is superior but OpenGL is more common, let's see what KDE developers can make with Vulkan API.

Comment

This should be good news for NVIDIA users

Comment

Originally posted by edxposed View Post
        This should be good news for NVIDIA users
        Why do you say that? Shouldnt that be good news for all users who have a GPU with Vulkan support?
        Last edited by castlefox; 22 June 2023, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Hm. Last time someone suggested Vulkan support for KWin, the suggestion was quickly shot down as being a completely useless endeavor by the KWin head honcho.. KWin wouldn't gain anything from it.

Comment

Originally posted by castlefox View Post

Why do you that? Shouldnt that be good news for all users who have a GPU with Vulkan support?
            Whenever I mention KDE and Vulkan, someone always comes out and says Vulkan is pointless, OpenGL is enough, and they are obviously not NVIDIA users.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
              I feel like Zink doesn't really need competition but more support, but what do I know. Regardless, The Vulkan API is superior but OpenGL is more common, let's see what KDE developers can make with Vulkan API.
              Vulkan is not superior to OpenGL, it is a lower level middleware than OpenGL: you can do more things and faster, but you have to do it yourself. OpenGL does many many things for you, but the obvious drawback is lack of lower level control.

In general, this is life.

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                Hm. Last time someone suggested Vulkan support for KWin, the suggestion was quickly shot down as being a completely useless endeavor by the KWin head honcho.. KWin wouldn't gain anything from it.
                https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mutter/-/issues/2606 similar thing in Gnome , Gnome lags a lot in 4k/5k screen (I can't imagine about 8k) , I switched to sway due to this and looking forward for Cosmic DE and now KDE, wgpu is pretty nice middle ground between Vulkan and OpenGL

Comment

Originally posted by RealNC View Post
                  It is useless, it won't enable KDE to do anything new. It's probably spurred by the devs inability to get Wayland in shape without Vulkan. Here's hoping the grass really is greener on the other side.

Comment

Hell yeah brother, vulkan renderer, here we go.

Comment

Working...
                    X