Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GNOME Lands Nice Optimization For Wayland Gaming

Phoronix: GNOME Lands Nice Optimization For Wayland Gaming

Merged this week into the GNOME Mutter compositor codebase is what should be a beneficial optimization for those enjoying Linux gaming under the GNOME Wayland session...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Making things faster by deleting code? Sounds great to me.

Comment

Seeing a mention of VRR and GNOME is promising…

Comment

For the many things I do not like Gnome (even though I mainline it on my PC), it's stable and VRR may have taken a long time at least I know it will be (assumed) that Gnome will continue it's stable releases. Still kudos to KDE (and everyone involved) to start develop (and discuss) it for the Linux platform.

Comment

Will the optimisation land in Gnome 44.x or in Gnome 45?

Comment

Originally posted by Malsabku View Post
            Will the optimisation land in Gnome 44.x or in Gnome 45?
            In the MR it says "Milestone Gnome 45"

Comment

Meanwhile KDE mouse cursor is going at 15fps when VRR is enabled
              Hi guys I found an issue when using Wayland with VRR enabled, my mouse is laggy in fullscreen game menus (via wine/proton) doesn’t happen on native games like dota2… my screen is 144hz , games are 144hz but mouse is like 15fps… fixed when I either disable VRR or switch back to x11 Im on Arch, 5.3 kernel, KDE 5.27.6 with AMD 6700, tried changing compositor settings which didn’t help also tried lutrus wine 7, proton 7/8 and proton GE etc. I guess this could be the issue? Handling cursor updates...

Comment

This was enabled by mutter!1880, too bad I didn't realize this earlier.

Originally posted by gustavoar View Post

In the MR it says "Milestone Gnome 45"
                Those milestones refer to the development cycle in which the MR first landed on the main branch. This will likely get backported to the 44 branch.

​
                Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                https://discuss.kde.org/t/wayland-la...r-enabled/2352
                That's an amdgpu bug: drm/amd#2186

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                  That's an amdgpu bug: drm/amd#2186
                  That sort of thing is why I'm holding off on having to choose a vendor to replace my GeForce GTX750. (Yes, I'm still on a GPU from 2014.)

If the risk of having to switch distros to stay on X.org until Wayland crash recovery is sorted out weren't looming, I'd stay with nVidia because "better the driver bugs you know" combined with "you can upgrade/downgrade nVidia drivers without having to do your whole kernel".

Comment

Originally posted by gfunk View Post
                    https://discuss.kde.org/t/wayland-la...r-enabled/2352
                    This is new to me tbh, rx 6900 xt. The only problem when I enable VRR is that if I go above the upper refresh limit the game stutter for like 1 second intermittently, so I usually cap the framerate to 130 fps.

Comment

Working...
                    X