NVK Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver Progresses On Running Some Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVK Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver Progresses On Running Some Games

Phoronix: NVK Open-Source NVIDIA Vulkan Driver Progresses On Running Some Games

Faith Ekstrand today published a blog post outlining recent efforts around NVK, the open-source Vulkan driver for NVIDIA hardware developed namely by the Nouveau development community. Some recent highlights include:..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Where does that "Nvidia Open Gpu Driver" fit in relation to this? I havent seen much news about it in a while and the Nouveau rework is getting a lot of the press here. Which is good but also wasnt the pint to have a amdgpu like situation with nvidia at some point?

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
      Where does that "Nvidia Open Gpu Driver" fit in relation to this? I havent seen much news about it in a while and the Nouveau rework is getting a lot of the press here. Which is good but also wasnt the pint to have a amdgpu like situation with nvidia at some point?
      This is basically that. Nouveau kernel driver + this is basically amdgpu.

Comment

NAK the Nvidia Awesome Kompiler…
        Dev are 14 or what ?

Anyway, I’m curious to see how good it can be compared to the official driver in themes of perf.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
          Dev are 14 or what ?

Anyway, I’m curious to see how good it can be compared to the official driver in themes of perf.
          :< you are just jealous you didn't come up with such an awesome name yourself!

Comment

Wheres the outrage for nvidia lack of support for a proper open source driver?

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
              Wheres the outrage for nvidia lack of support for a proper open source driver?
              At this point it is crystal clear Nvidia (the company not the devs, those are decent people) will never lift a finger to enable a Mesa integrated driver, so any further beating of that dead horse is both pointless and time wasting.

I wish the NVK devs all the luck in the world and I really hope NVK gets the chance to blossom into a driver as performant and full fledged as amdgpu, if not better.

At the same time, given Nvidias (recent) history, I am not ready to trust them to uphold their end of the bargain - I fully expect them to neuter NVK once it can prove better-than-Nvidia-driver perf. But let us wait and see. This time might be different. Just because I am suspicious does not mean my suspicions are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by wertigon View Post

At this point it is crystal clear Nvidia (the company not the devs, those are decent people) will never lift a finger to enable a Mesa integrated driver, so any further beating of that dead horse is both pointless and time wasting.

I wish the NVK devs all the luck in the world and I really hope NVK gets the chance to blossom into a driver as performant and full fledged as amdgpu, if not better.

At the same time, given Nvidias (recent) history, I am not ready to trust them to uphold their end of the bargain - I fully expect them to neuter NVK once it can prove better-than-Nvidia-driver perf. But let us wait and see. This time might be different. Just because I am suspicious does not mean my suspicions are correct.
                The horse might be dead, but like a good zombie, its eating the brains of smart people.

Thats the only explanation that i have for their actions.

Joke aside, I have to ask, wheres the outrage?

where are the people saying “i will never give nvidia another penny!”

Like they did with the recent Red Hat debacle.

Personally, i think these devs should drop this nonsense and instead work with AMD in making ROCm better.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Joke aside, I have to ask, wheres the outrage?
                  Oh that is easy to answer, the people that actually gave a damn stopped caring about a broken company with broken ethics and went to a slightly less broken company with slightly less broken ethics.

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                    Dev are 14 or what ?

If a 14 year old can make this happen, and you can’t, they can name it whatever they want.

Comment

Working...
                    X